Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/18 17:18
By JR pass,Is it possible to travel within A Day by shinkansen and
Limited express train?
by John (guest)  

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/18 17:53
No, it is not possible. You can only make it as far as Asahikawa.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/18 17:56
Himeji to Wakkanai is possible, but that's probably as close as you have to get to end up in Wakkanai on the same day without flying.
by /\ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/18 18:35
Even if you take the fastests Shinkansen not covered by the JR Pass, if you leave Kagoshima by the first train (at around 05:45), you would arrive in Asahikawa around midnight. The first train from Asahikawa to Wakkanai departs around 06:00, but its stops in every station on the way so you would arrive by noon. Or you could take a limited express train (first departure around 09:00) and arrive in Wakkanai around 12:30.

I think it is best to cut this long trip into smaller bits, so that you can stop along the way and enjoy the trip more.
by Vienna Logan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/19 07:23
As an observation, because many people simply don't bother to factor these items into their trips, is that a really good use of your time in Japan? Heading between two very distant locations by train is not the fastest way and the "savings" by using a rail pass does not count the cost of your lost day in the country.
Recently when planning a schedule for someone that included Kyushu (specifically Kagoshima) and Hokkaido (Shiretoko) taking the train wasn't even close to being in the mix of options as it would have robbed them of one day out of their three week trip. Even by plane was going to take almost all day even taking an early flight.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/22 03:26
Thanks.
What about Train accident insurance?
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/22 04:03
What do you exactly mean by train accident insurance ?
by ViennaLogan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/22 05:58
No idea why you'd even think of something like that.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/22 15:28
Ken Sir Thanks.
we always proud of Japanese Transportation system.
However, in my country, every year thousands of passengers died by Train accident. So Rail company give them compensation. You know,it is a huge loss if any family lost their family member. Train accident is not uncommon in First world country. So can I ask,Do you think Japanese rail company give compensation if Mr A injured by train accident.

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/22 16:12
John,
It is simply not an issue worth considering. The most common serious problems are someone trying suicide by throwing themselves in front of a train, and that's commuter type stuff. Other than that, accidents are so rare as to be simple freak incidences and they're not worth worrying over. It's like worrying about going to Japan and getting blown up by a volcano.
Also, if you really want to get from Kyushu to Hokkaido as soon as possible, you can fly from Fukuoka to Sapporo as a non-stop flight, and with a discounted airfare like JAL's Explorer Fare, you can do it for just 11,000 yen. Then, take an ANA Experience Japan Fare flight to Wakkainai for 5500 yen more (but check on the schedules of connecting flights).
Or, you could just fly from Kagoshima to Asahikawa via Tokyo, then take a bus or train. Really though, I don't see why you'd be going from one tip of the country to the other like that - it kind of strains credulity.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/22 22:12
Depends on the exact circumstances of the accident, but usually in case of a rail accident, there will be investigations, then a litigation by the victims, and the court makes decisions about whether it was the fault of the railway company (whether the accident was foreseeable to the rail company), then damages may be paid out.

But apart from that, please be sure to purchase travel insurance when you travel to Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/23 11:15
Do you think Japanese rail company give compensation if Mr A injured by train accident.
No. People sue in court for damages. You need travel insurance.
Also note, the Japan Rail Pass also explicitly excludes insurance for interruptions (travel disruption). Regular tickets have some protections/compensation.

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/24 04:36
I am not sure what you are expecting of the JR pass. When I have been handed my JR pass, I want to assure you that I didnft hear a choir of angels, or, had the clouds part, so that a beam of sunlight shines on me. The JR Shinkansen train schedules are to set up to service passenger trips that are making expected point to point trips, and not a marathon end to end jaunt across Japan. Private Nozomi/Mizuho/Hayabusa will cover longer distances faster, but are not included in the JR pass.

That said, I have heard the engineer apologize for running five minutes late, due to loading/unloading issues at several stations, on a trip on the Ocean Arrow Limited Express (love that name), between Shin-Osaka and KiiKatsura station. Whenever possible, the JR trains are extremely reliable. Getting train insurance should be the least of your concerns.

Most train operations stop at, or just after midnight, and start up at or around 6:00 AM. If you want an eall dayf train experience, you will have to ride the night train, which I believe there is only one left. The Sunrise-Seto/Sunrise Izumi does hit some Shinkansen train stations. You can start in Kagoshima-Chou (Shinkansen station) just after 18:00, and arrive in Okayama, where the two overnight trains join up. You could then ride the train to Tokyo station, arriving just after 7:00 AM. You could then switch to a Shinkansen again, and should be able to make it somewhere in Hokkaido that night. Congratulations, you will have ridden trains for about 30 hours straight on a JR Pass, if that is what you want. You will then need to wait until the next day to finish your journey.

I know about the Kagoshima-to-Tokyo bit, because I thought about doing that part one the final day of a JR pass. Personally, I balked when I had the opportunity, because I would rather berth in a first class cabin on the sunrise train, and not use a Nobinobi open berth. I have sleep apnea, and will need to plug in my C-PAP machine, and I toss and turn in my sleep, which would be better incredibly annoying to others. Frankly, the nine hour sleeper train is being replaced by the 3&1/2 hour bullet train ride, and may not be around for much longer.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/24 07:08
@ebaychucky311 - minor point, the Hayabusa is included in the JR pass - I am sure you know that and it is just an error.
My daughter's last trip to Japan included Tokyo to Kagoshima (actually starting from Saitama) and while it was an eight hour trip, it made sense using the JR pass for her visit because of the other locations we went. Provided a healthy saving, and not being able to use the Nozomi didn't slow her down too much.
Another point of trivia - the train timetables are not designed to the closest minute, I know the shinkansen trains operate to the 1/4 minute - if you get to see the actual timetable - such as on a platform the JR staff use - the it becomes clearer.

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/24 13:07
JCT: Thank You, for the correction.

I tried to fit way too much into my first couple of trips to Japan, to the point that I nearly bordered on JR pass abuse. I probably would have racked up at least triple the fares that the JR pass cost. This was especially true during my summer trip in July and August, where I went festival hopping.

This has now made me a bit disillusioned about the value, because I now prefer to slow down. The more you slow down on you travels, the less valuable the JR Pass becomes, because of the fewer times that you will be using.

So, if your idea of visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is, jumping out at the lodge, walking to the balcony and snapping a photo, pulling out a clipboard and checking off a box, and then returning to your car and driving off, then the JR pass is a fantastic fit, because you will be constantly on the go.

I will probably spend at least three nights at each location that I visit on the next trip. So that means I will most likely get only three travel days out of a one week pass, and five days out of a two week pass.

Donft get me wrong, I will still purchase the JR Pass, but it will be when I am using a place as a home base, to visit around that area, such as Okayama or Hakata. There are places close by to visit, and pass can be used for small side trips. I could stay in Okayama for instance, and do day trips to Himeji Castle, the canals and museums of Korashiki, and the art on Naoshima Island, to name a few. I would also probably over to Shikoku Island to go to Shikoku Mura, just because I like the train ride over the Seto inland sea, and try to get seat 1C or 1D, so I can look out the front of the train (Green JR Pass required). I would be using the pass every day, except the day that I would take a bus over to the Korakuen gardens in Okayama. I could also see a day trip to Bunny Island or Miyajima Island from Okayama, even though they are further away. I can see myself activating a JR one week pass, traveling to Okayama, and spending a week there taking small day trips, and using the final day of the pass to get to my next location, say Kyoto. I would be without the JR pass in Kyoto, but the bus system is better for visiting places in Kyoto.

The real question is ewhat is your travel speedf, and ewhat do you want to seef? Come up with a list of places that you want to go to, and you can get some good tips here, from experienced travelers, on how to accomplish that.

John: Good luck, in planning your visit to Japan.

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/27 04:48
Accident has no early warning .
Today Egypt Train accident killed 32 people and injured more.

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/27 05:31
I sincerely hope you're not trying to compare rail transport in Egypt with rail transport in Japan. There are standards.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/3/28 14:42
John: Ifm sad that you feel that way about train travel. I live in the United States, and I have to tell you that I do feel safer visiting and traveling in Japan than I do in the United States. My wife has still yet to travel with me, because she refuses to take a 12 hour flight anywhere, especially if it goes over a large body of water.

I actually enjoy watching the engineer edrivef the train, so I usually get a green JR pass, and try to ride as many wide view Limited express trains, when I travel.

I still go by myself, and I want tell you that it is worth going, and to try to relax about transportation. Use airport busses instead of trains, if you have to. There is a good highway bus service, that can get you around. Some cities, such as Kyoto, are probably better explored via bus.

Once again: Good luck in planning your vacation.

Re: Kagoshima to Wakkanai within 24 hours 2021/4/1 15:07
Thanks A Lot.

reply to this thread