Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Military and shipping car 2021/3/22 18:11
Hello,

I'm currently in the army and I own a 98 toyota Supra. I understand my car is not 25 years old but it will be in 2022 because of the manufacture date. I leave to go back to the states in October. I'm being told I cannot leave japan until I have sold my car since it is not 25 years ago. I've told people I would just put it in storage until it becomes legal but people have told me I can't do that either. I love my car and enjoy driving it. What are my options and what should I do? Thank you
by DDrew97  

Re: Military and shipping car 2021/3/23 12:03
「 I've told people I would just put it in storage until it becomes legal but people have told me I can't do that either.」

I'm not sure of the exact laws, but there may be an issue with storing a vehicle in Japan if you are no longer a resident and not a citizen. If that's the case, the smoothest solution might be to try to find a friend who will be in Japan through 2022, transfer title of the car to them and have them keep it, then transfer the title back to yourself once you can export it to the U.S.

You might also want to contact Power Vehicles, which is a company based in Fukushima. In addition to handling export sales of JDM cars, they also have a service where they store cars owned by overseas buyers at their facility near Ebisu Circuit, so that they can use them on the track when they're visiting Japan. I'm not sure if they specifically offer/advertise a simple car storage service, but if nothing else it looks like storing cars owned by foreigners outside Japan is part of their business operations, so they might be able to accommodate you. They take inquiries in English through their website:
https://powervehicles.com/
https://powervehicles.com/contact-us/

Hope you find a way to reunite with your Supra back in the States. My brother is still sad about having to leave his Skyline behind when he PCSed out of Iwakuni.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Military and shipping car 2021/4/1 15:25
Contact a car exporter-importer. Pretty sure your type of car is already in the states.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Military and shipping car 2021/4/1 15:35
I believe the OP is talking about the 25-year rule, whereby after 25 years, cars will be considered to be “classic cars,” thus even RHD cars can be imported into the US.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread