Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/23 00:46
At the moment, am I able to enter Japan as a foreigner to marry my Japanese partner?
by H (guest)  

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/23 10:39
So you are not (yet) married according to any countryfs law, and thus you donft hold a gspouse of Japanese nationalh visa. Then as far as I know the answer is no. There is unfortunately no gfiancéh visa.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/23 11:11
Unless you are from one of the few countries allowed to enter, no.
Getting married is not grounds for an exemption.
Also, check https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/23 16:02
No job, not married, so no job/spouse visa options even if you were from the allowable countries.

So that would leave a tourist visa, which ain't being approved/given out to travelers.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/24 07:12
So that would leave a tourist visa, which ain't being approved/given out to travelers.
There is a specific "tourist visa" called "designated activities" for a stay of 6-months.
What most people call a tourist visa, they actually mean the temporary visitor permit, and that allows a lot of different activities including sightseeing and business.

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/24 20:18
And they are allowing people ro enter Japan currently with said visa? Doubtful...
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/25 07:22
And they are allowing people ro enter Japan currently with said visa? Doubtful...
Yes they are. The official inbound tourism statistics make it clear that people are arriving on temporary visitor permits. It is easy to check those facts and not make up guesses or opinions.
Inbound arrivals include, for example, tourists from the USA. I had a specific reason to check the numbers this month and they are well laid out and accessible.

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/25 08:22
Okay. Thanks for the correction.

Can you provide a link is possible please.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/3/31 17:43
Except if you are from one of only a handful few nations permitted to enter https://mail-order-bride.com/japanese-brides/how-to-know-if-a-japanese... Getting hitched isn't reason for an exclusion.
by ChrisGoode (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/4/1 05:32
Exactly. And that won't change for the next years.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/4/1 07:13
https://www.tourism.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/JTM_inbound202103...
Useful spreadsheet showing inbound visitors by country and category. Last I checked included up to Jan 2021 for some values (preliminary).
Also https://www.tourism.jp/en/tourism-database/stats/inbound/ for high level view - useful for de-bunking the claim people avoid travelling to Japan in the middle of summer - July is the highest month for inbound tourists in a usual year.

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/4/11 23:10
Uhhhh, guys... Proxy marriage? OP; if your partner is in Japan she/he can file for a proxy marriage. All that's needed from your side are the necessary documents and a copy of your passport... You don't have to be in Japan at all to get married, only your spouse.

The way I did it (All steps abstracted away for everyone's eye's sake):

(Partner in Japan): Goes to city hall, gets the following documents:

- : The actual marriage document, you will need to place your signature on it and if you happen to choose YOUR friends/family as guarantors they should also sign it.
-- In my case I needed these for my government to:
-* Verify that my partner isn't married: Ɛgؖ
-* Verify that my partner was born in Japan (acts as birth certificate): ːГ{
-* Verify that my partners actually lives in Japan: Z[
- Copy of your Japanese partner's passport.

The above listed documents under -* will have to be sent to MOFA first to get your apostille. Once I received the documents WITH the apostille I sent them to a translator (which in my case was a legal translator which has been verified by our national court); this meant that I didn't also have to get the translation legalised.

Once I got the documents translated etc; I sent the documents to my local municipality (NOT IN JAPAN) and requested and received my "marriage eligibility certificate". Once I received this I got the "marriage eligibility certificate", a copy of my "birth certificate" and a copy of the "locals register" which proves that I live in this country apostilled and translated into Japanese. I sent these apostilled and translated documents WITH the signed back to my spouse and Japan. She went to the city hall and got us married. The end.
by (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/5/17 05:24
Can I ask which country you were in when you got married?

I'm in a similar situation, wanting to get married to a Japanese national from the UK. All the official information says I would need to visit the British Embassy in Tokyo, but trying to find a way around this.
by D (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/5/20 19:04
I'm from The Netherlands. Not sure if this clears things up for you, but there's a section on proxy-marriage in here; https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/japan/family/marriage-partnerships/ma...

All your partner needs is your signature or q.

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/5/20 19:07
Ahh, so your partner is a Japanese national who lives in the UK? Or are you trying to marry a Japanese national who lives in Japan while you're in the UK?

Re: Can I enter Japan to marry? 2021/6/18 23:11
So...your partner in japan got the documents and then sent them to you? Am I understanding this right?
by Noah (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread