Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

part-time work over 20 hours a week 2021/4/14 11:05
Hi,

I'll try to keep this short. I live in Tokyo and am 40. I'm married to a Japanese woman and am on a spouse visa. My wife has a very good job at an advertising firm. we have a young child whom she was taking care of mostly until we moved when she got the job offer back in the US. I also was tiered of my good but dead end job in the states and we always planned on moving to Japan anyway.

I'm currently unemployed and I'm prepping to take the N2 this summer and would like to get a part-time job to at least make some money. I've already worked at a few baito, but i continue to run into the same problem. No one will give me more than 10-12 hours a week. fast food, izakaya, english schools all do the same. I worked in web design and application dev in the states so its not like i don't have a work ethic. On my visa i can work any number of hours, but none of my previous part time jobs were willing to give me anything over 12 hours a week. Just enough to help with the rent...but not enough to have any of money for myself.

looking for suggestions. I've been to hello work and they always give me more restaurants and conbini. with very short working hours. I'm looking to work at least 20-24 hours a week like i did back in college while studying for the N2 and then once i have that move back into web services work.

thanks in advance,

marriedGaijin
by marrieddude (guest)  

Re: part-time work over 20 hours a week 2021/4/14 15:29
I guess the problem is the current economic situation. There simply isnft as much arubaito as before the pandemic.

With your IT skills, why not start looking already into a work in your field? Or maybe you can find some remote work from overseas?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: part-time work over 20 hours a week 2021/4/14 19:13
I donft know where you are looking for a job, but if you look for garubaito,h that is by definition part-timers, where they tend to put people in shifts (like convenience stores or supermarkets), and thatfs what employers want. They donft want to hire people full-time, or full-time equivalent hours so that they bear the cost of social insurance.
Another thing they might gassumeh is that you want to stay gtax dependenth of your Japanese spouse in terms of taxation (over a certain income you start paying your own taxes instead of being a tax dependent on your Japanese spouse). This is something some local housewives do, so they set themselves a cap on the hours they are willing to work per week/month when they do gpart time work.h

Some people I believe do two part-time jobs (if that is manageable) to get the hours they want to work (and earn).

If you want to look for an IT job, you should be looking for IT-specific jobs. Another thing is, well, due to the current economic conditions, decent-paying, full-time jobs are difficult to come by, to be honest.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread