Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/15 16:43
I'm 17, learning Japanese and wanting to travel to Japan next year (if possible).

This is only asking about meeting Japanese people in Japan as an 18yo :)

I don't personally know anyone who lives in Japan and I'm wanting to meet some Japanese people while I'm there (should be easy enough to find non Japanese people, if I want)

I'm usually a bit shy so would rather not talk to random strangers to make friends... Is there a good way to meet up with younger Japanese people?(I don't mind if they aren't exactly the same age)

I was thinking the easiest way could be with a school by becoming an exchange student however I'm not currently at school as I've been doing other things instead.

I haven't planned the trip at all... yet, however I'm thinking of staying at a Home Stay because thats an easy way to meet at least some Japanese people + it would be fun.

If you know/can think of ways to meet younger Japanese people please let me know, even if there's something else you would like to say please do as I would love to hear from you!!!

Thanks so much
-jay
by Jaydon (guest)  

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 13:29
It is easy to meet Japanese people. They will come to you and want to speak English If you look foreign, many people will want to talk. I recommend staying in a youth hostel as you travel. A wide assortment of people. If you appear friendly and open, you will meet many friends. If you need help, just ask somebody. Just ask somebody of the opposite sex who you think is cute. The worst thing to happen is you get the help you need. The best is you find a friend. Japanese kids are very friendly and curious about foreigners. Go have fun.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 14:29
If travelling gets back to normal, and if you're 18 or older, you can choose to stay at a "guest house" which is a type of temporary accommodation designed for foreign visitors who wants to meet people. You can get to know other guests as well as the owner, and then it would be easier to venture into places you'll find locals at.

Another thing you can do, especially if you intend to stay at one place for weeks, is to get in touch with the local city hall and ask if there is a local international exchange lounge. There is at least one in every prefecture. They might be holding events that welcome foreign visitors. Note that city halls are closed on Saturdays and Sundays, so you can ask for info during weekdays so that you can attend events on weekends as well.

I'm wondering, however, why you say that it "should be easy enough to find non Japanese people, if you want" when you feel that you'll have trouble meeting Japanese people. Are you worried about the language barrier? Then learn basic Japanese phrases so that it would be easier to go up to the locals. Most of them would be able to speak basic textbook English, but you'll be amazed at how much you can communicate with gestures and drawings.

Needless to say, there will be more young people near universities.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 16:00
Replying to Uco Fist off thanks for the reply!!!

I've heard of home stay from some other people but not a Guest House, it soulds good ill have a look into it

Fist time hearing about a Local International Exchange Lounge, ill have a look into that too!

and as for why I said "should be easy enough to find non Japanese people" I mean idk... I guess because I know and have heard of sites/apps for people that are traveling to use and meet up with other people who are traveling and I have no idea how to do that with Japanese people as any website or app would be in Japanese. on top of that I was amusing that most hostels would have mostly non Japanese people staying there (someone else said that its actually pretty mixed), and then also I was saying that to clarify my question about meeting Japanese people as I haven't found answers to my specific question online, I'm not (at the moment) too concerned about the language barrier as I think I'll know enough to communicate what i need to... hopefully!

And yes near universities is a great idea :)

And once again Thanks so much for the reply, very insightful, I really appreciate it!
by Jaydon rate this post as useful

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 16:06
Replying to Jim!

"It is easy to meet Japanese people. They will come to you and want to speak English If you look foreign, many people will want to talk"
Very reassuring hearing that again, thank you.

And yes after what I've read and people replying to me I think I'm gonna stay in a youth hostel for a bit plus some other places.

"Just ask somebody of the opposite sex who you think is cute."
Haha Yes, now that you say that, I plan on doing it :)

And Thanks for the reply!!!
by Jaydon rate this post as useful

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 17:41
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, of course Japanese people would typically use Japanese language when seeking friends on-line, but you may not be able to talk to them in the same language anyway. Meanwhile, I'm sure that among English-language forums and apps, you'll find English-speaking people from all over the world including Japan.

Come to think of it, "Meet-up" is another website you can use to find local Japanese groups that communicate in various languages. I'm sure some of them are currently meeting on-line through Zoom which you may be able to join without even traveling here.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 18:43
Replying to Uco

I've really got to remember how good the Japanese are at English, I mean I know they aren't at all totally fluent but quite a few know a bit... compared to my friends and like every aussie I know... None of whom can speak anything but English :)

And I've heard of meet up before, someone even mention it when I asked this question on another forum, however I didn't know any Japanese people used it. I'll look into it!

Thanks for your reply!
:)
by Jay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 19:09
Use apps like HelloTalk or Tandem to find Japanese people who want to learn English/teach Japanese. Your language skills and number of friends will both increase. Though I don't use the app anymore, I've met up with dozens of people I first knew through HelloTalk.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to meet Japanese people in Japan 2021/4/16 20:42
Replying to Liz
Awesome thanks so much for that info I'll definitely look into it and give it a go! :)

And thanks for the reply, love all the replies from everyone!
by Jaydon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread