Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/10 02:47
So I was hired by a company, submitted all the paperwork, received my COE and work visa was approved. I have my flight booked and bags packed.

NOW, my employer wants to postpone my arrival till AFTER the expiration date on my visa stamp. They said they still want me to come work for them. Yes, they know they'll have to do the paperwork all over again.

Can I just fly to Japan and wait till they're ready? I'm trying to convince them to just let me fly over. I think it's better to have me in Japan and ready to go than going through this process all over again.

Additional info - they've postponed my departure a few times already.
by DakedoBaby (guest)  

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/10 13:56
Due to covid19, it depends on immigration rule, and the rule can be different depending on where you come from.
by mamoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/10 18:34
What kind of visa?
by Dunit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/10 18:55
Visa type - Instructor

Length of delay - essentially 1 day (which also happens to be the day after my entry visa expires).
by DakedoBaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/10 20:26
If you got the visa, come to Japan before it expires. That expiration date means you must fly and land in Japan before that date. After that you get the resident card you will then follow the expiration of that card.

Your arrival has no connection to the company unless they are providing the flight ticket. Otherwise come at anytime as long as Japan lets your country in.

I guess the company assumes this. Delaying work bc of covid is understandable, but kinda sketch. Where will you be staying before you work? Is the company handling that too?
by ToroZushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/10 21:02
I think mofa site shows a clue, see the page of 'denial of permission to entry'.
by www (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/10 21:23
Airplane ticket - I bought (and paid the fees when I had to cancel).

Housing - they were going to help find me an apartment, however I would still be the one paying for it. But I already know how to find my own apartment. I've done it enough times.

Yeah, this whole ordeal is just screaming "unorthodox, unorganized, and incompetent". I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about changing jobs. Seriously!!! Delay putting someone to work for 2-3+ months because their visa expires 1 DAY before you need them.

I've lived in Japan before. I'm already well aware of what to expect. I'm more than capable of finding housing (actually my old landlord would love it if I came back. Was a tenant for 8 years). I have already planned this out. I'm just wondering if they could screw me by cancelling my landing permission\ visa before I get there.

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/11 08:45
You sound as if it was postponed due to employer's selfishness, didn't they mention something reasonable?

Even if it had not been postponed, you would probably have been stuck in your country because of restrictions. Valid visas which issued in many countries before March 20 are suspended regardless the expire date. Is your visa still valid?

If it is valid and you are a resident of a country or region which is not banned by immigration, I think you had better fly before your visa expires.
by fullabeans (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/11 09:51
Fullabeans - Actually, no. No reasonable explanation is given. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they didn't actually have a spot for me to work (even though they indicated otherwise).

At this point, I think I'm willing to take my chances.

I'm coming from the US, so I'll be allowed to enter (unfortunately, now have to do the 3-day quarantine).

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/11 13:33
Lots of businesses are in a very tough situation right now. Projects keep getting delayed because of the states of emergency. There is a lot of uncertainty. It could be that they don't have work for you until the corona situation improves or something like that. It is too bad that communication between you and your company seems to be bad and you are not properly informed about the reason for the delay. Can't you inquire about the specific reason(s)?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/11 14:48
Sorry about your situation. I, too, think it is worth to ask them the reasons.

By the way, 3-day quarantine? Are you aware that it is a minimum period you stay in an indicated place and you are still required to remain at a secure place the rest of 14-day quarantine period? You can go work 14 days after your arrival at least once your employer let you start you work. It is better to arrange your flight, confirming the first work day.

And are you even allowed to enter(land) and is it confirmed officially? Both sites Japan embassy in US and the mimistry of foreign affair Japan say 'no' unless have 'Exceptional circumstance' and you, who are an instructor visa holder should be needed to fill a vacancy at the educational institute, to be one with Exceptional circumstance.

I hope things go well for you somehow.
by fullabeans (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/11 14:50
Sorry to hear of your situation. I was going to ask too - Did your employer mention the reason why they want to start you later? Is it COVID-19 related (travel restriction), or possibly their business is not doing so well that they have a hiring freeze or something?

Ifm wondering this because if theyfve already postponed it a few times, and now this time even beyond the validity period of your visa, which they took some trouble to obtain, and they know that they have to do the whole CoE/visa application process again, that means they are ready to wait at least ga few months,h correct? that sounds a bitc suspicious.

Also, if you are able to fly in (I donft know which country you are in now), but what if the company doesnft want to start you working yet, who would pay for your living expenses, etc.?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/13 00:46
I'm just wondering if they could screw me by cancelling my landing permission\ visa before I get there.

Japan has tight restrictions on incoming US travel. From what you have told us your employment being delayed is a red flag. Coe and Visa does not "guarantee entry" to the country (you can and should read what came with those documents there is a disclaimer) this applies to covid-19's situation.
Even if you buy your ticket, find an apartment, that alone will not help. Do you even have a contract with that company?
by ToroZushi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/13 05:48
TaroZushi - Yes, I do actually have a contract with the company. And yes, I am aware that having the COE and Visa doesn't guarantee landing permission (especially now with dealing with Covid).

And I agree, the delay is odd and doesn't make much sense.

I'm going to keep trying to help them see reason and convince them, or at least see if they can give me a plausible reason why the delay is necessary.

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/13 08:52
Even if you are screwed, it is not them, it is covid19.

I suggest you to read all documents and sites that were mentioned by the others before you waste your time and money by making wrong decision such as buying an air ticket being unable to enter Japan.
by mamoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/13 09:56
Mamoru - They already had me buy a plane ticket.

I was initially supposed to fly in March. I had to cancel that flight and buy a completely new ticket when they changed my arrival date (switched to an airline with no change fees, which saved me because the company would go on to change my arrival date a few more times. The additional fees I would of had to pay...Whew!)

Now, I have a plane ticket for the last date change, and they decided they want to do the whole process over again. So, now I'm trying to find out why and hopefully make them come to their senses (or just fly over anyway). I know for a fact they're short-handed (not sure if it's Covid related or not), so why they don't just bring me over to work makes no sense to me.

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/13 13:20
"they're short handed... so why they don't just bring me over to work makes no sense to me"

As people here said, employers have no option these days because of immigration regulation. Current regulation says that those who hold an instructor visa could be entered provided that there is nobody to fill the position other than you and the employer (educational organization) can't provide lessons without you. This is what they call "special exceptional circumstance" which is demanded to enter Japan. The fact that your employer postponed could be meant that they are not eager to have you at the moment, they can manage assignment of instructors without you, and they want you later. This can't be treated as a special exceptional circumstance. Being an employee of an employer that is just short handed can't be meant that you are eligible to enter.

Yes, they should have explained so when they first postponed the employment, but it is also your responsibility to apply a job abroad, expecting every sudden change especially under the pandemic. You don't even seem to check the embassy's official site. I am sorry to hear about all you encounter, I understand your frustration, but I don't think it is wise to write words such as ' incompetent' especially for an instructor who is expected as a kind of educator.
by www (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/13 13:21
Find a new company. Clearly something is up and you ain't gonna get joy from them.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa is approved, but employer wants to wait 2021/6/13 17:19
Later means No for Japenese.

Me: Shall we go walking at the weekend?
Japanese: Oh yeah but later because I am busy (I am not interested in).

If it is true, I agree, it is time to look for another employer, but one who understand that Later means Later for non-Japanese while you should understand that delay and entry denial are reasonable.
by TATEMAE (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread