Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/6/19 00:14
Hi everyone.
I live in Japan since 2016 and I've been married for almost a year. I need to update to my spouse to visa soon but I quit my job at the end of March and I didnt find a decent offer since... is it risky to update my visa now if Im unemployed ? I dont have so much options besides doing a baito until I find a nice job. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!
by JamesNihon1  

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/6/19 11:56
For renewing the spouse resident status, the paper you need to submit is the tax statement (either statement of taxes paid or levied) from your income in 2020. So back then you had full salary. So it should be OK (and the fact is a fact, so it cannot be helped that you don’t have a job right now).

Once we (myself Japanese national, freelancer, and my non-Japanese husband) had to apply for a change from his previous employer-sponsored work resident status to spouse, when he was out of work, and we got it. The thing is, as long as the marriage is genuine and you continue to live together as a married couple, they cannot really deny you a renewal. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/6/21 13:44
Thanks for your answer! So if I write 無職 on the 申請書 there wont be any problem?
by JamesNihon1 rate this post as useful

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/6/21 14:25
In the case of "spouse" status, if the couple (either you or the Japanese spouse, or both) has sufficient income to support the two of you, it will be fine.
Since you did have a job until March, and you have tax papers to show it too, to show that you are willing to work again when you find a new job, I might suggest writing something like:
現在無職(求職中) meaning “currently out of work, (looking for a job).”
Or
3月末に退職。現在求職中。Meaning “left job at the end of March. Currently looking for a job.”
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/6/21 16:17
Oh I see, thanks again for your kind answer!

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/6/24 10:58
Don't worry about it. When i got my spouse visa, I wasn't working even a part time job. not by choice mind you, just my previous visa didn't allow me to work. my wife (japanese national) was also only doing part-time work.

I know a few other gaijin that got there spouse visas while unemployed.

The government only cares that your marriage is legit (i.e, you didn't marry ONLY for the visa) and that you at least have some money saved up or have someone that will help you until you do (normally your spouses parents).

Since you were already working, you should be okay.
by tkyogaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/6/25 20:36
As long as the working spouse/only one spouse is making enough money, which they can tell by the tax paperwork, then they should do the renewal. What the specific threshold amount that is not acceptable appears to be a secret of the immigration office and depends on where you are living in Japan.

If your spouse's income does fall below the acceptable threshold, then the immigration office will call you and her in. Likely they will want additional assurances from other members of the Japanese spouse's family or will only approve a short term visa so that the other spouse can find a job and push the amount over the acceptable limit. However, there are all kinds of complicated cases, for instance a supporting spouse is hospitalized. So this is all a case by case type of thing.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/7/8 21:43
Hi guys, thanks for your answers.

I received the notice but this time they ask me to go to the D5 counter and not the vvitch A1 counter, first time I see that. Why?

I have to bring my documents, the 4000yen stamp + my juuminhyo... I hope it is okay...

Re: Renew my spouse visa without having a job 2021/7/8 21:45
not the A1 counter*

reply to this thread