Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 00:26
I have been living in Japan for many years now and have permanent residency with a multiple reentry permit.
However, a family member is sick and I have to go abroad for an unknown length of time.
It means moving out of my sharehouse.
I currently receive my deceased husband's pension.

I already have someone who is willing to have my mail forwarded to them and check it.
However, the issue of not having a proper Residency (Juminhyo) in Japan is a problem.

My understanding is that if I leave Japan, I end up without a residency, I have to give up my Residence Card and my My number Card. That means that I lose permanent residency, correct? Also, many banks insist that you close your account if you leave the country.

But I don't know when I will be back. I could be back in six months. Or a year and six months. I think I have to be back six months out of five years according to the National Immigration Bureau... But the local government won't even allow someone to step out of the country if they don't have a place where they are currently living in Japan...

Is there any way around giving up the residency? Can I register at a hotel or something and just have my mail forwarded? Can I register at my friend's house without them being flagged by the census bureau? I also read that I can be a resident if my things are being stored in Japan... can it be a residence at a storage unit or an office?...
Thank you for any help in advance...
by Piapei  

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 04:08
There are two things you have to do in order to preserve your residency:
1) if you leave Japan for more than 1 year at a time, you have to apply for a re-entry permit before leaving
2) you have to renew your residence card before it expires

There are no such conditions like you have to spend more than half of the year in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 09:19
My understanding is that if I leave Japan, I end up without a residency, I have to give up my Residence Card and my My number Card. That means that I lose permanent residency, correct?
No, not correct. No reason for you to do that UNLESS you are leaving permanently, and you are not doing that.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 12:12
probably, you can keep your permanent residency. but, you have a risk that your entering to Japan may be refused by an airplane company, after your zairyu card is expired.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 12:20
Do I have to change my address after I move out of the sharehouse or can I keep the Juminhyou here even though I am not living here anymore?
by Piapei rate this post as useful

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 15:43
"can I keep the Juminhyou here even though I am not living here anymore?"
that is a stupid idea.

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 18:34
That's a pretty judgemental response. Did you read my entire question? I believe I need it to receive a pension and maintain bank accounts. Please be helpful or don't say anything at all, troll.

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 18:36
I read that I can be a resident if my things are being stored in Japan... can it be a residence at a storage unit or an office?...

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 18:45
To the original poster,

One of my friends, who is Japanese but lives overseas, is still keeping her gjuminhyoh in Japan because she needs to keep paying into the pension system, etc., so it is possible.
You said you have a friend who is willing to forward postal items to you - is that someone at the same shared house, or living at a different address?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 20:01
Address of strage unit and office are ŠÝ’n, not ZŠ, although they are both Address in English. So I am wondering if the city office accept it for Jumin toroku. Even school address was not accepted for my class mate.

I also don't think strage unit allows you to resister their address for Jumin toroku, even some hostels don't allow it according to my friend's experience.

I hope your family gets well soon and you won't treat me, who denyed what you said, as a troll.
by JuminA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/21 22:35
to receive pension money "legally", you should not retain your address in Japan, if you are not present in Japan.
if you are not in Japan, your pension will be sent to your bank account in your country.

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/23 22:01
I don't understand why you wouldn't ask immigration what you can or can't do directly. If the immigration officer is confusing. I think you can do a consultation with an immigration lawyer. Usually around 10,000 yen or so. If they are any good, then they should be able to answer your questions or find out and e-mail you back. I wouldn't just gamble on your permanent residency. Unlikely for you to get it again.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Abroad indefinitely with Permanent Residency 2021/6/24 12:34
No, he isn't a troll. Although some people keep their address at a place where they no longer live (there are many Japanese people from provinces who are living in Tokyo without report of moving in and out), many cities officially says to report it within 14days. So not reporting moving/not changing registered address sounds not good idea for some people while it is ok for you. Different people has different view point. Meanwhile whether or not it solves your problem legally or not is another issue. I, too, think you had better consult a professional rather than strangers on internet.
by Yohan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread