Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food delivery service in English in Tokyo 2021/6/29 17:54
My friend who doesn't speak Japanese must stay at a serviced apartment in Tokyo for 2 weeks without going out. I checked Uber Eats and Rakuten Delivery but they don't have English site.
Is there any English website? If you use iphone, can the Japanese sites be translated into English?

by Wakako (guest)  

Re: Food delivery service in English in Tokyo 2021/6/29 23:43
Are you sure?

- Go to Uber Eats top page.
https://www.ubereats.com/jp

- Scroll to the very bottom until you see the word “ú–{Œê near the righthand corner.

- Click “ú–{Œê and a window will pop up. It says:
Žg—pŒ¾Œê‚ð‘I‘ð‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B
English
“ú–{Œê

- Click "English".

In fact, even though I wanted to use the website in Japanese, it automatically showed in English only. So, Uber can be very tricky. In fact, it was so tricky that I stopped using it.

I hope this helps your friend enjoy the 2 weeks. If you still have any problems, ask again. Keep safe.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Food delivery service in English in Tokyo 2021/6/30 07:09
Thanks! Can you tell me your experience of Uber Eats' tricky matter? I want to tell my friend as precaution.
by Wakako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food delivery service in English in Tokyo 2021/6/30 10:14
Can you tell me your experience of Uber Eats' tricky matter? I want to tell my friend as precaution.

I don't want to scare your friend away, but maybe this will help your friend calm down IF any problems should occur. Well, I notice that Uber is easy to get hired by, but it doesn't offer enough support for both delivery personnel and the customers.

I was originally a Demaekan user. But I switched to Uber when the pandemic broke, because (A) they used more and better restaurants and (B) I wanted to support the unemployed people who were forced to change their jobs to Uber delivery.

At first, it was great. Then unexperienced delivery people increased. Meanwhile, Uber seems to have its own map app that their delivery people use, and the app is not accurate. Long story short, I tried all the many "conveniences" that Uber offers their customers, until I was forced to go out of my home to guide the multiple deliveries only to receive cold mushed pizzas. The only support that Uber seems to have is their English-language twitter account, and they don't really listen to what you write. Maybe it's an AI. So, I was forced to switch back to Demaekan which is getting better every day.

Uber, among many things, can be very convenient and helpful as long as you don't experience an accident. But once you do, you realize what good service is.

Again, I don't want this information to discourage your friend to stay safe inside. If your friend should have any problems, (s)he should discuss it with someone else like you or this forum. There are many other ways to keep you indoors. And Uber can still be a great option.

Re: Food delivery service in English in Tokyo 2021/6/30 11:31
Thank you so much for the informative and humorous answer. In fact, I first tried to open an account in Demaekan's English site. But there were blanks to enter your surname and name in Hiragana and a repeat of the alphabet names were not accepted. How did you solve it?
Sorry to ask you again, but your answer is very helpful.
by Wakako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food delivery service in English in Tokyo 2021/6/30 18:03
As I suggested earlier, I'm a Japanese-language user with a Japanese name. But Demaekan has an inquiry form. Maybe you can ask questions there.
https://demae-can.com/inquiry/contact/input/

So far, my experiences with our local Demaekan has been great, especially because they would promptly phone me whenever there is a problem, and they sound professional. Unlike Uber, most of the recent Demaekan deliveries are being done by car, so I don't have to worry about weather or flat items like pizzas. All Demaekan delivery people have been nice, and they know what to do. I don't know how much English they speak, but I feel that they get to be more educated in general, compared to the Uber workers. But again, Uber still has some great workers. I don't have experience with any of the other many delivery services.

Re: Food delivery service in English in Tokyo 2021/6/30 18:05
By the way, I'm fluent in both Japanese and English (I'm a professional translator), and I feel that Deepl is a much better automatic translator than anything else including Google. I hope it helps.
https://www.deepl.com/home

reply to this thread