Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/5 23:05
Hi all,

Finally we are heading towards the time where travel is permitted again! And this time it is time for a Kyushu adventure. I have started planning a day trip to Beppu and really wanted to see the Onbara falls.

However, Google maps is not much of a help for me. Can I walk from JR Beppu station to the Onbara falls? Google maps says it should be 50 minutes, but when I see the streetview it is a very windy road for cars to a designated car park and I do not know if it will be safe to walk there on foot. After the car park it should be fine!

Anyone know if I can do this first part to the car park on foot?

by Mikichan1991  

Re: Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/6 13:44
It's been a while since I've been to Beppu, but the location seems to be an annoying place to get too. There might be a bus for the amusement park from somewhere more central such as the main station. That would probably be your best bet. It looks as though it will to 2-3 hours to see a waterfall in Beppu which is known for taking time to visit different locations.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/6 14:03
You could walk. The piece through town will not be too bad, but you seem worried about the narrower/twisty roads. There is unlikely to be much traffic, so not especially unsafe. Certainly when I was in Beppu with my daughter shortly before the pandemic we walked along quite a few of the roads and no particular problems (speed limits in Japan are also low).
If you wanted to skip some of the walk, there is quite a good bus service in town and one of the closer stops is Rakutenchi (associated with the amusement park).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/6 16:55
Welcome to my city,Beppu.
Traveling beppu city on Foot is not good decision.so you can buy kamenoi bus 1 day pass=800 yen
You can buy oita shi bus 1day=410 yen
Oita kotsu bus 1 day=410 yen
Oita city bus wide area 1 day= 1120 yen
If you stay for a long time than you can go A to B on foot.
by Alam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/6 17:16
Yeah you can walk up the road behind the amusement park to the carpark under the expressway bridge. 800 meter walk from there.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/6 22:32
From JR beppu station it will take 5.2 km and atleast 52 minute walk .so Bus is convenient and bus fare is affordable.Beppu city is full of onsen ,Mountains and hills.My university is Located above the mountain.
by Rina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/7 05:17
According to google map, it still takes 46 minutes (of which 32 minutes are walking) from the station. Take Bus #17 and get off at Unzenjibashi.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/%E5%88%A5%E5%BA%9C%E9%A7%85,+Japan,+%E...
by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onbara Falls, Beppu on foot 2021/7/14 17:45
Thank you all for your kind responses. I will definitely try and see if I can do it with a rental car and use the Car Park just before the waterfall trail. However, if I am short on time with the rental car, I will keep in mind that the bus is way more convenient than walking. Thanks for your responses everybody!
by Mikichan1991 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread