Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Perks to being an engineer in Japan 2021/7/6 23:24
What are the perks that an engineer can expect to get in average in Japan excluding bonus, overtime and paid vacations? I want to know regarding travelling perks, rent perks, tax payment by company, fooding perks, and all other perks that a company normally give to its foreign engineer in Japan.
by Sushant Adhikari (guest)  

Re: Perks to being an engineer in Japan 2021/7/7 15:16
Um, engineer is a wide field and could be anything from chemical engineer to nuclear engineer or software engineer.

Anyway the benefits will largely depend on the company. What I have seen are:
- commuting paid by company (this is VERY normal)
- some of the bigger companies (think Panasonic, Kirinc) have company houses where you can rent quite cheaply an apartment
- other companies might at least help you with the fees associated with finding an apartment
- childcare vouchers to use at nursery to reduce costs
- obviously a part of mandatory insurance payments (health, pensionc)

I havenft heard about food/ lunch tickets (which in turn is very common in some EU countries), but big firms might have a canteen which is for sure sponsored by the company

Others might have more ideas what kind of benefits are offered, BUT at the end of the day it depends on the company that hires you.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Perks to being an engineer in Japan 2021/7/7 17:15
Like Likebike said, your question is too broad. It depends on the type of engineering job you apply for, the size of the company, your experience etc. In general I don't think there are a large number of foreign engineers in Japan unless they have a specific skill that it not found on Japan or you work for a multinational company.

In general the question for working in a country such as Japan should be, what can I bring to Japan? Not what will I be paid and what extras might I get.

To get a truly accurate representation, you will need to ask on a Japanese engineering forum in Japanese as I'm pretty sure the number of foreign engineers working on Japan who regularly check this forum could be counted on one hand with a few fingers down....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Perks to being an engineer in Japan 2021/7/9 15:35
I think it's only a perk if you work for a big international company and/or are making a truly high salary.

Because of both, you might get a 5 year visa and will be more likely to get your permanent residency faster and independently. To get permanent residency without being married to someone in Japan, takes between 5 to 10 years.

Japan can still be quite a nice place, without being an engineer or other conditions, it's a matter of understanding and adapting.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Perks to being an engineer in Japan 2021/7/10 06:53
@mfedley: count 1 engineer here. (Ok, admittedly currently not working in Japan but heading back there sometime next year with my new company) but yeah, engineering is a WIDE field. Nearly like saying guniversity graduateh

To get permanent residency without being married to someone in Japan, takes between 5 to 10 years
This is actually not true. An ex-colleague of mine got PR in about 2 yrs (maybe even less) from moving to Japan. If you can get HSP visa then you can apply for PR after a year. She got it really fast. (And once she got it she quit her job and moved back to Taiwan having her safety net in Japan just in case).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread