Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 09:13
IIfm curious about what type of visas Mikan, Tokidoki travellers and similar YouTubers kn Japan have as they donft seem to meet the requirements for all the visas Ifve looked at.
Mikan used to go to a fashion university in Japan but quit over a year ago. When she moved to Japan and started her channel she would of been on a student visa but now she doesnft attend school. She has stated that she does youtube full time now. She doesnft have a university degree or ten years of experience so I donft think she can get a work visa. She also doesnft seem to be affiliated with any company that might sponsor her.
Tokidoki traveller is a YouTuber but also works for Tokyo creative. Tokyo creative have stated that they donft sponsor work visas so Ifm not sure how Emma and the other foreigners who work at Tokyo creative are able to live in Japan.
Neither of them are married and theyfve lived there too long for a working holiday visa. Ifm mostly curious about Mikan because maybe Emma has a deal with Tokyo Creative but Mikan doesnft seem to even meet the requirements for a visa.
I want to be able to live and work in Japan for a couple years before I get my university degree so Ifm curious about how to get a visa like them as it seems impossible.
by Rachelcookie  

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 11:36
There's a chance they're there illegally.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 11:39
Mikan seems to have given an interview about it – maybe she proceeded to study at a graduate school and is on a student status. Even though she has a degree, without an employer, she canft get the employer-sponsored visa. I donft know about others.

If you want to live with part-time work in Japan for 6 month or up to 1 year (depending on where you are from), then the Working Holiday Visa is the way to go. (But note that this is a special arrangement – just once in a lifetime, for people under a certain age.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 11:42
Do you mean Emma? Mikan didnft graduate university and doesnft have a degree.
by Rachelcookie rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 11:56
Whoops, I guess I got the name wrong! sorry
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 13:21
I thought there was an entertainer visa, or a visa that was intended for the promotion of Japan - these YouTubers promote Japan to a foreign audience. I could be wrong as I haven't looked into it specifically.

I highly doubt these people are in Japan illegally, as advertising your long-term presence in Japan regularly online seems a poor choice if you're not supposed to be there...
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 14:03
I also agree with the last post, as an entertainer visa seems the most likely. As she I believe is employed through a major Japanese company, they can act as a sponsor and explains why they have brought over quite a few people pre covid.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 15:09
Ifve heard that entertainer visas are only really of youfre really famous like Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran. I could be wrong but I donft think they would be able to get one.
Itfs possible that Tokyo Creative is sponsoring Emmafs work visa but I had heard they donft sponsor visas.

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/8 15:44
There seems to be two different entertainment visas....

https://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_employment_en.html
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/9 00:16
I am friends with a YouTuber who has a reasonably big audience, and am acquainted with another through work. The one I know really well has a wife, child, and a business that his audience are completely unaware of. He keeps them under wraps for reasons that I think make a lot of sense given how weird these parasocial relationships can get. The one I know through work, I'm not familiar with the intimate details of her life but from spending time with her she seems to live quite a different life than the one she is portraying on her channel.

You get what I'm saying. It seems possible that these people could be married to Japanese nationals, working for Japanese companies, studying at Japanese educational institutions without anyone else knowing. Likely? I don't know. More likely than being there illegally? Definitely. More likely than being there on entertainer visas? Maybe.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/9 01:05
I thought so as well, they just don't show you everything. It isn't telling a lie, they are just acting as entertainers. There are many 'professional' youtubers as well as people who upload their videos as a hobby. In fact, not many people state real on such media and Facebook like stuff, exposing privacy causes troubles. However, it is true that there could be people in that field who are living abroad illegally in any countries.
by HaigusyaL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/9 14:56
My guess is unless you have upwards of 1 million monthly views it is going to be hard to get an entertainer visa, but that is just my hunch.
Most likely, a lot of youtubers I watch are already in Japan before they became youtubers, be they on JET and then found permanent work in language school/company/elsewhere, or married a local.
I have yet to see any youtubers who actually claimed outright they are streaming as their full time job (you may have, not saying they don't exist, I an sure there are some). It is completely understandable as others here have mentioned that many youtubers would want to keep their online and offline personas seperate.
by Jackson78 rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/9 20:07
Yeah, but I appreciate your question because I am not sure the case being a professional YouTuber (I mean making money from being a YouTuber) is ok for a student with a resident status of student and work permission. How do they count the working hours?
by HaigusyaL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/9 21:16
I know I canft truly know but Mikan seems to be very open about her life. She currently lives with her boyfriend and has two cats which they recently adopted. She used to attend a language school but she has stated that she no longer attends. She posted a video 9 months ago where she went back to her old language school for a day. She also has said that she does YouTube full time. I may be remembering wrong but I feel like I remember her saying she has to renew her visa every 6 months on Instagram but I might just be imagining that. Although Ifm talking about Mikan, I feel like Ifve also seen other youtubers who are similar in regards to visas.

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/9 22:40
Pre-covid, Japan had been promoting kawaii fashion in aim to attract potential foreign tourists, students and professionals. There are, not many, but some foreign residents who have been working regularly as something like a freelance fashion journalist. I wouldn't be surprised if people like Mikan has the same kind of visa as theirs. She had already achieved a career while being a student, so why not. To me, it definitely looks like she's not doing everything through selfies. She probably has a crew professional enough to support her. I don't think it's a problem, by the way.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/10 09:07
My guess is that most foreign tubers in Japan are self-employed but were not in the beginning. Then again it really depends on what laws Japan has with their home country. (I cant know bc USA doesnt have Working Holiday). If Mikan was a student when she came to Japan, she probably changed her residence status after quitting.

What I do know that for at least USA, entertainer would require some kind of proof that you enter Japan under that status.
by Paku (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What type of visa do Youtubers have? 2021/7/10 13:51
Why don't you just ask them?

Many youtubers will respond to questions posted in the comments of their videos.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread