Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/10 21:35
I’m currently have a 3 years working visa and got pregnant by my japanese boyfriend. If I quit my current job can i still find another job? If not, is there another a way for me to stay in japan aside from marrying my bf? I’m 2 months pregnant by the way.
by Ayori210 (guest)  

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 12:05
If you leave one employer (which I hope you don’t have to – many decent companies offer maternity leave), you’ll have a “few months” to look for another employer in the same category as your current resident status if you want to stay on it. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 14:12
this may not your concern, but, if you want to make your boyfriend as your baby's father legally, you need to take legal procedure, either marriage or acknowledgement. visa (resident) status is temporary thing, but the father will affect your baby for a long time.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 16:15
I doubt you'll have materinty leave or assistance as part of your employee contract or due to length of current employment.

Need to read up in your employment contract.

Leaving an employer means to fail to meet your visa status requirements. Pregnent or not. You may be asked to leave the country.

Bonus points though is with covid restrictions, deportation orders arent being pushed hard by the authorities.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 16:36
I appreciate all your replies. I actually am a seishain(生社員) in my current company and I believe i have a maternity leave written in my contract. My boyfriend and i was actually planning to get married next year. I just wanted to know if there’s an alternative for me to stay at least until next year if I quit my job now
by Ayori210 rate this post as useful

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 19:22
If you give birth to the child and the Japanese father recognizes the child (very important), then you can get a visa that way without being married. The child would have Japanese citizenship. You could apply for a long-term visa, which covers such cases (mother of a Japanese national).

However, you might get some push back from immigration (depending on the case and official), in regards to why you are not marrying the child's father or at least they might request you and/or him come in for questions.

If you have maternity leave written in your contract and one year left, you probably would be fine. It appears to be a matter of discussing the situation with you company, so that you remain under the work visa until it expires. When your work visa expires, you can be a mother of a Japanese national, so then qualified for changing over to a long-term visa.

If you are worried about such matters, probably best to get consultation from an immigration lawyer. This is often around 10,000 yen (100 dollars). They should be able to answer such questions in detail.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 20:28
Thanks! Yes we have a reason for not marrying this year, the reason is more like a traditional thing in my country. By the way where can we usually find a immigration lawyer?
by Ayori210 rate this post as useful

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 21:42
you have to consider more carefully.
generally speaking, acknowledgment (recognition) is "traditionally" considered as non-honorable matter for Japanese. and this record is not erasable from the baby's koseki.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Got pregnant while having a working visa 2021/7/11 21:49
Just to add about the citizenship of your child-to-be-born:
- If either one of the parents is Japanese, AND if they are married at the time of the birth, the baby will have Japanese citizenship automatically. If you are not married, it is important to go through this process called 胎児認知 (“taiji-ninch,” fetal recognition) by the Japanese father before birth so that the child can obtain Japanese nationality automatically.
- If the child is born while the parents are not married, or the Japanese father does not do this fetal recognition, you need to take a procedure to “reserve” the right of the child to be granted Japanese citizenship. 国籍の留保.

This is just a law firm website info for your boyfriend’s reference:
https://lawoffice-yokoyama.com/intlmarriage/ninchi/

Again best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread