Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dependent visa and/or special circumstances 2021/7/15 12:29
My wife (a Hong Kong National) left Japan while pregnant to give birth in Canada last November, where I am from. She is due to return to Japan to work this November. Myself, I used to hold a work visa in Japan, and came back to Canada a few months before her. My work visa has since expired, in April 2021.

Her company can sponsor me a dependent visa. But is it really hopeless for me to enter under special circumstances, since I am not employed in Japan anymore I would need to enter without dependent visa ? It stresses me out knowing she would need to bring back our 1 year old baby alone without me, and not knowing when Japan will re-open the border again =(

Thanks for the advice!
by JoePool  

Re: Dependent visa and/or special circumstances 2021/7/15 21:26
As far as I know, youfd need to have some kind of visa - be it dependent or work - (or re-entry permit on an existing resident status) to enter Japan gcurrently.h gSpecial circumstancesh is very unlikely to apply, though of course you might want to inquire with the Embassy of Japan where you are.

Off the topic, but please make sure before she travels that she can secure child-care while she works. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent visa and/or special circumstances 2021/7/16 01:44
Check the following pdf for the special exceptional circumstances regarding entering Japan.
From what I read above it could fall under option 3 unless your wife would be in any of the visa categories in option 2 which makes it way easier
http://www.moj.go.jp/isa/content/001347332.pdf

I would also recommend to check with the embassy, they cannot issue visas currently but give better advice than anyone here
by nja (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent visa and/or special circumstances 2021/7/16 01:47
Sorry I meant (4) not option 3. Canft edit the post :-(
by nja (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent visa and/or special circumstances 2021/7/16 07:49
But is it really hopeless for me to enter under special circumstances
Yes. You do not have any special circumstances.
If you can be granted the "dependent" status of residence, then you could enter the country as a resident.
Even if you got into the country under "special circumstances", you do not have a status of residence so would not be allowed to stay beyond the temporary permit afforded by your Canadian passport as the visa waiver programme is still in effect for North American countries. https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html#section5
But, currently, unless you can do something like get onto the Canadian Olympic team or some weird route through a country not included in on the list currently denied permission for landing there is almost no way for you to get into the country.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Dependent visa and/or special circumstances 2021/7/16 09:08
I think, when she returns to Japan, she can ask dependent visas for her child and her husband. the COE application can be done through her sponsor.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread