Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/23 05:44
I will be visiting Japan soon with my aunt and I just wanted to know if I will be fat there. I weigh 125-126 and my height is 5'6, I have no problem losing weight just because I do work out often. I am part Japanese so I would like to know so I could fit in I guess.
by Jaelynn (guest)  

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/23 13:20
At 5'6 and 125 pounds, you probably won't be considered heavy by most Japanese people. You also mention you work out often, so I'm guessing you don't have a flabby build, and so you're even less likely to be considered fat by most Japanese people. At the same time, you probably won't be considered as slim by Japanese people as you would by, for example, people in the U.S. If I had to guess, at 5'6 and 125 pounds, most people would think of you a neither fat nor skinny.

Out of curiosity, what is your specific concern? You say you'd "like to know so I could fit in," but you also say you're going to "be visiting Japan," which I'm guessing means you're coming as a tourist, and not moving here permanently, so what do you mean by "fitting in?"

It's true that Japan, compared to Western countries, has a slim population, and slim builds are, in most Japanese people's opinion, the most attractive. As a tourist, though, that's not really going to affect you. Are you worried that random Japanese people will point and laugh at you for your weight, or become angry about your weight and verbally confront you about it? Japanese people, in general, don't go picking fights with random strangers, so there wouldn't be any need to worry about that, eve if you weighed far more than you do.

I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm making fun of your worries. On this message board, though, we seem to get at least one question every few weeks along the lines of "Will Japanese people think I'm fat?" and I can never quite understand what the concern is for a tourist. I could understand if someone was moving to Japan for work or school, in which case their body type might have an affect on how easily they can shop for clothes, how attractive they'll be considered in the dating pool, and how perspective employers might see them. As a tourist, though, I don't see how whether or not Japanese people think you're fat makes a difference. Like, no shop owner is going to shoo someone away at the door and say "No fatties allowed!" The clerk at your hotel's check-in desk isn't going to say "Here's your key, and also you should lose a few pounds, tubby."
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/23 13:48
What I meant by Fit in was like will I stand out in Japan. If I'm being honest here I am a very insecure person so I like to please people I guess but what I meant by that is not to stand out too much and I do plan on losing weight so I can fit in clothes there. But thank you for your reply it did help a lot.

And I'm not really worried if random people will point and laugh at me if I am overweight but as I said before I tend to be very self-conscious.
by Jaelynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/23 17:01
Assuming you are a woman, you're right in between a fashion-model figure and an ideal healthy figure, slightly lighter than average as a Japanese teen, and way too lighter than average as a middle-aged Japanese woman according to statistics, so, no, you won't be considered fat even in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/23 17:27
This question is very similar to one posted around a week ago, including a height and weight combination that is nowhere near "fat" by any country's standards.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/23 20:05
"...but what I meant by that is not to stand out too much and I do plan on losing weight so I can fit in clothes there... "

I do think being a bit concerned about being able to fit clothes and shoes in Japan is legitimate. A lot of people like to go shopping. And actually, it can be a problem for foreigners.

Many Japanese tend towards having flatter bodies, shorter arms, and/or smaller feet. So even if you are the same size as a Japanese person, clothes might fit you differently because of your overall build.

However, not all Japanese are built the same, and from your description you are not exceptionally tall or big. This means that you appear to still fall enough into ranges that some Japanese can fall into too.

When it comes to larger size clothes or shoes, it is usually better to go to areas in Japan that are more likely to cater to or see foreigners. The stores tend to adapt to the type of customers they are getting. For instance, if you were visiting Tokyo, you may find that stores in the Shibuya or Shinjuku areas have your size. Where if you were shopping in areas less visited by foreigners or not a major shopping center, it can happen that they don't have your size or you find that things don't fit the way that you like.

Another point is if you are planning to live in Japan for an extended period of time or are just visiting. Clothes and shoes wouldn't be so critical for people only coming for a 2 week vacation, and they can focus on spending their money on other things.

Lastly, online shopping for clothes and shoes is becoming popular, even for Japanese. I've had and have taller than average female friends that go this route as a supplemental method. If you are living in Japan, you will likely, at some point, meet/befriend taller Japanese women that can give you tips on places that they go to shop.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/24 00:35
You're 168 cm tall and weigh 57 kg. You'll do fine in an M or L size that you'll find everywhere. Even if you're busty with big hips, you can still buy knits or baggy clothes. Or you can buy young men's shirts like I do as a mid-sized Japanese woman. You can't lose weight to fit into something smaller. You're already skinny enough. You're just a bit taller than average here. If you stand out, it's because you look cool.

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/24 14:54
I have one more question will I still be considers fat even at my age and height and weight cause Ifm 13 and Ifm really tall for my age and I do think Ifm going to continue to grow because my family is tall but will I still be considers fat even at 13 and this weight?
And thank for your another answers they really did make me feel less worried on my appearance.
by Jaelynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/25 09:39
Like I wrote, you're slightly lighter (skinnier) than the average Japanese thirteen-year-old. Eat well, and eat balanced meals, or you'll get sick way after you grow up. Believe me.

Re: Am I considered fat in Japan? 2021/7/29 22:18
Hi, my wife and I have been to Japan on 16 occasions. From my background and knowledge of the Japanese culture language and lifestyle you will have no problem with concerns about you weight. Japanese people are very kind, hospitable and friendly. They will go out of the way to assist you, go and enjoy your trip.
by 1Bunglung rate this post as useful

reply to this thread