Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

for a teaching job as a drummer in japan? 2021/7/24 19:44
im soon going to graduate from trinity academy as a ATCL certified drummer for teaching profession. Its been my dream to go to japan and get a job there. i can speak a bit higher than basic japanese fluently, and i dont know which place to get a job at in japan. If its possible can anybody add the qualification details and the age group too?, it can be really helpful. if there are any other recommendations for drummers like me in japan it can be really helpful for other drummers too.
by a.soorya narayanan (guest)  

Re: for a teaching job as a drummer in japan? 2021/7/25 06:17
Visa for drumming teacher only wouldnt exist. You could do it as a second activity, but you'd need to get a visa for another primary activity first.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: for a teaching job as a drummer in japan? 2021/7/25 09:03
To get a visa/resident status allowing you to live in Japan for work purposes, you need to be "useful" to Japan and fill a requirement that can't be filled by a local. It's highly unlikely (read: impossible) that there is a need for foreign drumming teachers in Japan. Hence, a working visa would not exist for such a job.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: for a teaching job as a drummer in japan? 2021/7/25 12:44
Yes, there exists a visa for artists:

With the correct connections it is possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: for a teaching job as a drummer in japan? 2021/7/25 13:00
Years ago on a Japanese language learning related forum there was somebody who wanted to get a music related job in Japan. It didn't seem so hopeful, but they actually ended up landing a job (plus relevant visa/residency status) at an international school teaching music. Just a thought.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: for a teaching job as a drummer in japan? 2021/7/25 13:07
Is there a visa which may allow you to work in Japan?

As Uji stated - potentially.

To be honest - a lot depends on your passport. Your best change of living in Japan longer than a holiday would probably be on a working holiday visa - but that really depends on having the correct passport and having another person who is willing to employ you.

Knowing the correct people who could employ you along with sponsoring your visa would be pivotal. But as others have said - it's technically possible but I'm guessing that the number of foreign drummer teachers in Japan would be minuscule.

Having the writing and reading skills to ask this question on a music specific forum in Japanese would also give you much more accurate answers than here - along with actually making you potentially employable.

Often - overseas qualifications can mean a lot less than they do in the home country.

Also - why do you want to work in Japan and what do you bring to Japan that can't be found there organically??

I'm not a Japanese person, but have lived in Japan and north asia for a while and found these two questions pertinent in getting a visa and job. If you want to live in Japan because you like the country - I suggest visiting for an extended period of time.

Visiting Japan and living in Japan are totally different experiences.

There are often strong responses to questions such as yours due to the fact we often have people wanting to live in Japan but don't have a good chance due to the job or experience they currently have. Some examples might be working as vets, architecture or voice acting but they have no or limited Japanese reading/writing/conversational skills.

Potentially reworking your original question to what qualifications, experience and language ability might be needed to be potentially employable in Japan.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: for a teaching job as a drummer in japan? 2021/7/25 13:30
My understanding of the issue is that you need a sponsor(s). One of the sponsors would be primarily responsible for you and would fill out their section of the paperwork, that is sent to immigration.

Other sponsors are mentioned, because you could have an agreement with others or your main sponsor would be sending you to also work for others as part of the job. This is a situation that can happen for various English teachers, and could be used as an example of what is possible.

Also the total amount paid to you would likely have to be at or over 30,000 dollars (the more, the better). The main sponsor has to agree and guarantee that amount (or more). You need to be making enough money, where it is felt you won't be a risk, have financial trouble, and pay all Japanese taxes (income, resident, health, etc...).

It is very important that all your taxes are paid, otherwise even if you get the visa, it may not get renewed/extended. For extensions, they usually will ask for tax documents, and the secondary purpose of granting visas to foreigners is tax revenue to the state.

A bit contrary to what the guest poster stated, it's not a simple matter of how "useful" a job is considered or if it is a job that can't be done by a local. Those are subjective requirements and quite political. The reality is that it's usually a matter of if a company in Japan (which can include international or global companies) is willing to hire and sponsor you. The company determines the requirements or who they want to take a risk on.

The key is you need to find somebody to hire you, which based on your profession might be a bit more difficult. I think you need to be creative and open-minded in your thinking. In addition to the more standard work visa, there are also various categories of visa that a musician can fall into. There are visas for artists and entertainers. Something to also have in mind, when you are looking around at possible opportunities.

One thing that I have seen people do, is first come to Japan as a tourist. In that way, it is easier to visit and interview with businesses, schools, and recruiters directly. You can literally just go straight to the establishments of various places (dress appropriately and be ready for an on the spot interview). If you find a job, you would have them submit your paperwork for a work visa. Keep in mind, you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa, but are allowed to interview. To switch over from a tourist visa to a work visa, you might have to leave Japan for a few days. It depends on the company doing the paperwork. Larger companies or schools, can hire immigration lawyers, who know what they are doing. Smaller companies and schools can have more confusion about the process and are doing thing themselves.

Clearly we are in the coronavirus times and it may be several months before Japan opens back up to normal travel. Another good alternative that I've seen is being very active with Skype (for phone calls and live video calls), in addition to e-mailing who you can.

Lastly, you might want to try Japanese Language Decoded (www.zenpowerstore.com). It's a new software out for learning Japanese, that helped me a lot.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread