Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Could my student visa get denied? 2021/7/31 19:31
I tried applying for mext before but failed(already had N1 at that time), so the embassy kinda knows me to some extent. Could they deny my visa for a language school thinking that I'm not interested in studying due to already having N1, but doing something else in Japan?
by DanielChris  

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/1 14:53
Anything is possible
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/1 15:00
That's a very complex question, because that would be a judgment call by immigration. There is probably no way anybody could guess the decision, and you would just have to apply to find out.

However, I have never seen or heard of discrimination based on a person having already took the JLPT. It is quite easy to make the argument of going to a language school for developing greater verbal/speaking skills and calligraphy (writing kanji by hand). These are not elements tested by the JLPT.

Usually Japanese language schools are looking for foreigners with money, and can assist with obtaining the student visa, if you meet their requirements. In your case, you might want to look at a Japanese language school that is offering something that would more easily justify to anybody looking at your application as to why you want to go there.

If you are already at JLPT N1 level, why aren't you looking at work visas? Do you have any other skills besides language? If you have a college degree, even an associate, you could get hired as an English teacher.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/1 16:31
I don't have a degree, I graduated highschool recently.
by DanielChris rate this post as useful

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/2 02:56
@DanielChris

I understand. If you or your family can afford a Japanese language school, then look for one where the focus is on verbal or writing skills (things not available in the JLPT).

You might also want to look at acquiring other skills, besides language or work on getting your degree. The exception being if you language skill is so high, that you could be a translator. If you are looking to stay in Japan for a long time, you might want to focus on what would make you employable, if you later attempt to get a work visa.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/2 09:00
Just finished high school. Were you 18 years old or older last application attempt?
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/2 12:30
I was 18

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/2 14:15
the tuition of public universities is cheaper than that of language school. there is no benefit for you to choose language school.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/4 21:38
I think they wont care if you know japanese or not cause there is many kind of japanese language classes , like business classes culture classes, so I think you will be ok. and I dont think embassies has a choice to not give you visa after you received COE. btw did you receive your COE , I also applied to japanese language school for october term and cant descibed how stressfull I am becauseof the rejection fear
by aslinda rate this post as useful

Re: Could my student visa get denied? 2021/8/6 19:21
@aslinda
I haven't applied yet. I will probably apply for the April term

reply to this thread