Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going back country but have loans? 2021/8/10 22:05
Direct to the point been here in japan 3 years on spouse resident status now got divorce and there is no way to change to other status i am going back country in 4 months but i bought a car on loan 7 years contract i had credit loans and bank loan you will be wondering how i got all these loans and car just having 1 year spouse resident status i don't know too but may be i was lucky now i don't have any cash to pay at once and i am going backwhat should i do? Please help me out by answering
by Gaijin (guest)  

Re: Going back country but have loans? 2021/8/11 10:48
Why don't keep your Japanese account open and sending money constantly into the account from your country?
The bank and credit company won't even notice you are in Japan and they wouldn't care wherever you are only if you pay the debt to the end.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going back country but have loans? 2021/8/11 16:01
"Direct to the point been here in japan 3 years on spouse resident status... 1 year spouse resident status..."

Appears you are another example of a former foreign male spouse who was targeted by immigration with multiple 1 year marriage visas. Many people don't know what is really going on, but seeing and hearing of such stories all the time.

The 1 year visas by themselves cause a tremendous amount of stress and issues for new marriages. Particularly because many Japanese businesses and establishments discriminate against 1 year visa holders. It's harder to rent apartments, get a phone, get credit/debit cards, to get certain jobs, etc... All because they don't think you will be in Japan for long, as if a tourist or temporary visitor.

This is why I recommend getting a work visa over marriage visas from the very beginning. Even if you get a marriage visa, it might be better to find a job and switch to the work visa. It protects against divorce or targeting the male foreign spouse.

Immigration will also ask the foreign male spouse for the same paperwork that you have to give for a work visa anyway (income tax, resident tax, insurance). Then ask the wife for all of her paperwork and more (documents for the city office). To include even harassing or stressing out the Japanese wife (in phone calls the husband might not know about) at her work or even call her into immigration (in attempted secret meetings), or that she must take time off of work to go to the city office for various documents.

If you are going to be forced to give immigration tax paperwork as if you are applying for a work visa, then there is the argument to just go ahead and actually apply for that type of visa instead. Then the wife doesn't have to be involved nor do you have to worry about sudden or unexpected divorce problems.

Trying to find a job at the last minute after a divorce is usually a disaster for the foreign spouse. To include spiteful or vindictive former spouses can be actively causing trouble.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Going back country but have loans? 2021/8/11 16:52
"going back country in 4 months but i bought a car on loan 7 years contract i had credit loans and bank loan... i don't have any cash to pay at once and i am going back, what should i do?"

From what I can tell about your story, I think you need to sell the car for as much as you can get. Then take that money (which of course won't be enough) and attempt to use it to pay off as much as the loan as possible.

As you are leaving Japan, the car is of no use to you, and you don't want to deal with insurance, road tax, inspections, etc... You won't be here for that.

Your Japanese bank account and the loans are the tricky part. If you haven't spent all the money, then use what you have left to pay back the loan. Part of the issue is that you will not be able to physically go to the bank, and have to interact with the bank from online and by phone, so you have to be prepared and understand how to do that.

I have seen and heard of people coming back to Japan after a divorce, because they were eventually able to get a job in Japan and a work visa. That happens only some of the time. Often such people have some stronger connection to Japan. Like they are fluent or nearly fluent in speaking Japanese, went to college in Japan, have lots of friends in Japan (who also can be helpful for getting back), have spent many years living in Japan, etc...

Technically, you are suppose to close your Japanese bank account before leaving Japan. The glitch in that is if the foreign person will be returning to Japan. Some people do return to Japan with just a tourist visa, and so take care of any loose ends that way. On that particular method, have known and heard of foreigners that also interviewed for jobs while on the tourist visa (interviews are legal), so were able to get their work visa as a result. But, visiting Japan as a tourist can be quite expensive and that way is a bit of a gamble, though it has worked out for some.

However, it is often the case that after a divorce the foreign spouse doesn't return to Japan. So the Japanese bank account, if you don't return, can become a source of problems. For instance they might say it isn't possible to close the account from overseas, because they want you physically present to show ID and sign/stamp documents, or if you owe them money. Depends on the bank, so you will have to ask. It can also result in a back and forth problem, that has to progress through higher levels of the bank for approval to close the account. If any money is still owed on loans, it will of course make things more difficult.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Going back country but have loans? 2021/8/12 08:36
"Why don't keep your Japanese account open"
The obvious flaw is that for many accounts, having Japanese residency is a requirement for having the account open - not just personal accounts, but business accounts as well.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread