Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice on how my name should be read? 2021/8/11 07:12
狄威倫 is my Chinese name, and I'm kind of having trouble on choosing what it should be read like in Japanese. I'd appreciate any recommendations, so thanks in advance.
by 狄威倫 (guest)  

Re: Advice on how my name should be read? 2021/8/11 09:19
There are options, and it is up to you to decide.

(1) The standard on-yomi (音読み) way of reading kanji (漢字): Teki I-Rin (狄[てき]威[い]倫[りん]).
(2) Phonetically emulate the Chinese as close as you can with katakana: ディ・ウェイレン (for Mandarin). You can vary it to your own satisfaction, like ディー instead of ディ, and ウェイロン instead of ウェイレン. ウェイロン may sound more familiar, because that's how American country singer Waylon Jennings writes his name in Japanese.

by Mai Bumai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on how my name should be read? 2021/8/11 23:18
Like the other poster said, it's up to you to decide, and a lot of Chinese people today have their names read in the way they are pronounced in their home countries. For example, in Japan, the name of the actress Zhāng Zǐyí is pronounced as is like "chan tsi".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Advice on how my name should be read? 2021/8/13 16:03
Seconding what Uco said, at my last job here in Japan I had a number of Chinese coworkers, and while in Japan all of them wrote their name as they usually would in Chinese characters, and had it pronounced as close as could be approximated in katakana. So how is your name pronounced in Chinese?
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread