Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Red Tide Watch in Japan? 2021/8/12 09:18
Here in Florida, we have not one but two easily accessible websites showing the status of red tides to determine when it's safe to fish for shellfish. I haven't been able to find anything of the sort for Japan despite it being subject to the same issues. As I plan on living there, I'd like a way to tell when it's safe. Is there a website like this?
by James Laine (guest)  

Re: Red Tide Watch in Japan? 2021/8/12 14:51
The word for red tide in Japanese is 赤潮 (Akashio). I did a little search and found few sites, but they all seem to be location specific (one prefecture or one specific bay) - not found any national level site. If you know which area of Japan you will reside, you can search for that specific location.
by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Red Tide Watch in Japan? 2021/8/12 15:20
I'm no expert, but Google tells me that Red Tide Alerts (aka-shio-keihou 赤潮警報) and Red Tide Watches (aka-shio-chuui-hou 赤潮注意報) are announced from each prefecture to its Japan Fisheries cooperative and designated fisheries.

I also understand that you are only allowed to fish for shellfish at designated spots only when you're allowed to. For example, ordinary families can fish shellfish but only when the fishery spots are opened to the public during certain seasons.

Here is an example of an old Red Tide Alert I happened to find, and it's for Kagawa Prefecture.
https://www.pref.kagawa.lg.jp/suisanshiken/joho/keihou/r2haturei.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread