Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naked festivals for women or both genders? 2021/8/17 08:25
I know that there is a Hadaka Matsuri (裸祭り, "Naked Festival") in Japan, which is a type of Japanese festival, or matsuri, in which participants wear a minimum amount of clothing; usually, just a fundoshi loincloth, sometimes with a short happi coat, and rarely completely naked. Unfortunately, correct me if I'm wrong here, but upon further investigation, I discovered that this Festival is only for Males. So my question is this, "Are there any types of naked festivals for either just women only or both genders in Japan?"

P.S. I'm asking this question because of Fictional work (chiefly, narrative work) related stuff.
by Daring  

Re: Naked festivals for women or both genders? 2021/8/17 11:06
As far as i know, no.

But there is a ritual where, before the male “hadaka matsuri,” women dressed in white gear and holding Buddhist mantra on paper go through water to purify themselves. This it is said was started during the war, when there were far less men around, to continue on with the tradition somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn360eobjBk
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Naked festivals for women or both genders? 2021/8/17 13:32
My shinto knowledge is spotty compared to a local - but my thoughts is that such festivals which celebrate female fertility would have been common before the rise of Buddhism in the 4th-6th century. How this was shown - is unknown.

There is some folktales and such of Japan having strong and powerful female leaders prior to the introduction of Buddhism. This is not saying that Buddhism was bad for Japan - it was mixed like all new things.

I might be wrong - but I believe that the original Shinto creation myth of Amaterasu giving birth was changed due to Buddhism. It's a complex and merky thing that I don't know enough about.

People that know more about the Ainu and Yayoi people might know more about this. Doing some research on the Taga Shrine in Uwajima might show something
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread