Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transporting kayaks in Kanto? 2021/8/19 14:16
Heya!

I have my own kayak, and I am wondering how to transport it.

A previous poster wrote that they are too big for public transport. I've seen people sitting on their own Ikea-bought sofa on the train before, so I am a little sad that my kayak is a no-go.

So, as a non-driver, I am thinking of buying a bicycle trailer to pull my kayak around. It seems like Osaka City is okay with that, but what about Kanto, and up to Gunma?

Does anyone else have any experience with bicycle trailers? Are there any other ways to carry it around, other than renting a k-van, or strapping it to my bike and pushing it on foot? :D

Thank you!
by Musui  

Re: Transporting kayaks in Kanto? 2021/8/24 14:25
The only other way I could imagine (but please check it) is to send it by courier. eg Yamato Kuroneko. But the size might be too big.
Did you really see people with an Ikea sofa on public transport in Japan???
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Transporting kayaks in Kanto? 2021/8/26 00:07
> I am thinking of buying a bicycle trailer to pull my kayak around

As it's simply illegal, I'd doubt such a thing is in the market. Bikes have to be shorter than 190cm and not pulling anything.
Even if you manage to buy one, you will immediately get stopped by the police...
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transporting kayaks in Kanto? 2021/8/27 02:33
I feel like you probably should have considered the fact that you do not have a means of transporting the thing that needs to be transported to be used before buying said thing.

Honestly? Apologies for the not very useful answer but genuinely I think your best option is to learn to drive, buy a car, and mount a rack on the roof. Short of relying on other people who can drive every time you want to use your kayak I honestly can't think of another way. I feel guilty and embarrassed enough when I take a large suitcase on commuter trains in Kanto so I'd be shocked if you could get away with a boat.

I suppose you could have it delivered? Only, how many kayak trips before it becomes more cost-effective to just learn to drive?
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread