Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/21 11:07
Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? If so, what do the loincloths looks like, how do they feel when you wear them and are there rules on when and where you can wear them?
by DragonLXT  

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 12:20
It is like wearing a towel around your waste. Then and when not to wear one would be pretty obvious due to social norms in any civilized country where loinclothes weren't a typical fashion attire.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 12:22
Is it possible for a wind or breeze to blow the loincloth upwards?
by DragonLXT rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 15:08
You can watch John Daub participate in the Naked Man Festival.
https://youtu.be/TTNY300fv6E?t=451

Watch it and you will see, the draped part in front may blow in the wind, but the "thong" part will be secure.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 15:12
Do females wear loincloths as well?

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 16:11
I think so, as it can be found at a pharmacy as a health care item (T-jitai) and underwear for women are sold at some shops (bundle-shorts).
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 16:14
Do the children wear loincloths as well? If so, what does it look like?

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 16:54
For locals in Japan - feel free to correct anything below with what I state.

The word which is often referred to as a loincloth in Japan is fundoshi. They were often see as a males undergarment prior to a stronger Western influence.

Today - they are more often referred to in some very select Shinto ceremonies and celebrations which someone native to Japan and knows more about the topic will be able to refer to.

Men and Children might wear fundoshi for things such as very select festivals (naked man festivals and the like). There are also some temples such as Saidaji in Okayama that hold these festivals as well.

If you want to know what they look like - think Sumo clothing.

Most are often worn by kids (boys) but I believe that this is becoming less common. Such festivals also have a mens section - but lets just say that copious amounts of alcohol are often consumed.

Some shinto purification ceremonies where people are purified under something like a waterfall is something that I'm aware of.

I have seen the rare female wear fundoshi in photos - but this has been over shorts and the like.

I also may be prudish which is my problem - but asking questions like "do females wear them" and "do children wear them - what do they look like" can often be misconstrued the wrong way. As such - being selective with language might be helpful. I am pretty sure that this was not your intention - but unfortunately the written word is way too open to interpretation and the most innocent of questions and inquiries can be seen the wrong way.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Has anyone here worn a loincloth in Japan? 2021/8/22 19:31
T-jitai is for those who recently got surgery on their bottoms. Women don't wear it in daily life.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread