Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prices: google maps vs. Hyperdia 2021/8/23 08:05
Hi,

I have always used Google Maps for planning train travel in Japan, however in the last few days I have been using Hyperdia quite a lot. (to plan my fourth trip that will hopefully happen in Autumn 2022)

The prices quoted by the two differ quite substantially, below are a few examples:

Tokyo Station to Kanazawa Station on the Hokuriku-Shinkansen 503
Google Maps \14,580, Hyperdia \7,480

Shin-Osaka to Okayama on the Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen Sakura 545
Google Maps \6,440, Hyperdia \3,080

Hakata Station to Beppu Station via SHINKANSEN TSUBAME 302 and LTD. EXP NICHIRIN SEAGAIA 5
Google Maps \7,870 Hyperdia \3,600

Total of the above on Google: \28,890
Total of the above on Hyperdia: \14,160

Which is accurate? How would you account for the massive discrepancy? It makes a huge difference when deciding if the JR Pass is needed.

Thanks in advance,
Brad
by BJEllis  

Re: Prices: google maps vs. Hyperdia 2021/8/23 14:19
Google and Hyperdia give the same prices. The problem is that you are reading the Hyperdia prices wrongly. You are only looking at the base far and ignoring the "seat fare". If you look under "Total", then you will see the same prices that Google gives.

More about how to read Hyperdia:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2323.html

by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Prices: google maps vs. Hyperdia 2021/8/24 06:25
My first though also. Just looking at the simple fare and not the combined total including express fees or seating fees.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Prices: google maps vs. Hyperdia 2021/8/24 06:32
I see the full price at the bottom now, thanks for your help!

BE
by BJEllis rate this post as useful

Re: Prices: google maps vs. Hyperdia 2021/8/24 07:24
@BJEllis - this comes up often in forums/questions - people often don't bother to look at the "total".
There can be some differences, but usually minor. I have seen occasions where Google suggests a poor alternative where a more direct route would be better (price and time wise).
Also, there are other "tricks" and options that can lower the cost of certain trips that neither Hyperdia or Google will identify for you, but that is more experience. I did have a guest a while back that checked our tour route/train schedule using Google and was surprised when we did not follow its recommendations - a combination of cheaper and better routes that over the course of a couple of weeks they got to see first-hand.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread