Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Still using my Ex-husband’s Japanese Surname 2021/8/23 20:59
Hi!

I might be just overthinking but I want to ask you people here for some insights.

I got divorced in 2016 after 13 years of marriage from my Japanese husband we have a 14 yo daughter. I am a Permanent Visa holder. After divorced I decided that I will not change or return my Surname to my Birth Surname because I want to still have the same Surname with my daughter. Plus, changing names requires a lot of effort to change everything from Passport, Bank accounts and Licenses etc. I am lazy.

2019 I re-married. 2021 we decided to live together here in Japan because I cannot go home frequently as I could because of this Pandemic. So I went to the Immigration to apply for his Zairyuu Shikaku Nintei Shomeisho / Certificate of Eligibility with all the necessary documents of course. After 2 months of waiting we were given a COE.

I sent the COE to him and we are now about to apply a Visa. Status: Spouse of a Permanent Resident.

My question: I AM WONDERING, WOULD IT AFFECT TO THE APPROVAL OF HIS VISA NEGATIVELY IF IN THE APPLICATION FORM WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME SURNAME AND I AM HIS WIFE? But my Surname is Japanese and different?

The requirements for his Visa application are:

-Visa Application Form
-Birth Certificate
-Marriage Contract (OUR)
-COE
-Passport

Only.

Thank you so much! Sorry if you find my question irrelevant , I just can’t wait to live with my Husband and I want him to come soonest possible.
by Luckygirl (guest)  

Re: Still using my Ex-husband’s Japanese Surname 2021/8/23 21:52
Your situation is something that few would know about, but since things are changing all the time, who knows for sure. But, I don't see why you would run into any problems.

I think what happens is that each time people get married in Japan, a new koseki is created (family register). Since you are the permanent resident, then you will be considered the head of household. Similar to if you were a Japanese woman with a foreign husband or Japanese man with Japanese or foreign wife.

I don't think your surname would be an issue, because for immigration, they have seen Japanese woman and foreign husband type koseki's before. Your koseki would likely look similar. I think that whatever the city office gives you and it's official, then that should be fine.
by Tango (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Still using my Ex-husband’s Japanese Surname 2021/8/24 07:26
As you are both not Japanese, it should not be a problem. It is just a name.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Still using my Ex-husband’s Japanese Surname 2021/8/24 09:36
I don’t see any issue about having different surnames – they simply reflect your life history. One thing someone “might” just wonder is if you are Japanese, just looking at the surname. But so what? You have a good reason that you wanted to keep the same surname as your daughter.

Besides, this “having one common surname” thing applies to Japanese-to-Japanese couples only. I am Japanese and my husband is non-Japanese; we have kept our surnames separate, and there has been no issue at all.

In your case, when you got married to your ex-husband (Japanese), his marriage to you must have been noted in the “remarks” column of HIS koseki (family register).
Then upon divorce, a note must have been added saying “marriage dissolved,” you and your daughter left his “koseki,” and currently you probably just have a “juminhyo,” (resident record), not a “koseki” on your own because you are not Japanese.
So I assume you just have a “juminhyo” now with yourself and the daughter, having the same surname.

Now that you’ve gotten re-married, when the husband joins you in Japan and registers himself as a resident, the husband will be entered into you “juminhyo” as the “spouse.” Best wishes.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Still using my Ex-husband’s Japanese Surname 2021/8/24 18:06
THANK YOU so much!
@Tango
@JapanCustomTour
@AK

I really appreciate your inputs. I am relieved! now we are getting ready to submit Husband’s COE and Visa Application to the Embassy so that he can come and live with me here in Japan soon.

I am head of the Household, I have my own “Setai”. My 14 yo daughter is living with her Dad , I gave the full-custody to my ex-husband for our Daughter as he is way more capable financially than me. They are living in our previous Home in a different City. I can see my daughter anytime I want and still possessed the spare key of the house.

I love my “Japanese surname” bizarre to say though, it’s also my way of respect and being GRATEFUL to my previous Japanese husband whom gave me ALL the opportunities here in his beautiful country that I may not and never experience in my own.

どうもありがとうございました.
by Luckygirl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread