Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese telephone number reading 2021/8/25 06:06
So I am taking a class on the Japanese language and am stuck on this audio question. The question wants me to listen to a piece of audio (which is someone stating a telephone number)

The audio is as follows

denwa bangoo wa san go ni san kyu ni ichi go hachiji desu

What do you type that as in numeric. I'm just confused on the ast part. He says hachiji but doesn't that mean 8:00 o'clock? Would I type that in as 800?
by Bryan Jean-Baptiste (guest)  

Re: Japanese telephone number reading 2021/8/25 09:49
Are you sure you have “hachiji desu” in there? Could that possibly be:
- Hachi ichi desu
Or
- Ban desu (the number is…)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese telephone number reading 2021/8/25 12:34
"Hachiji," meaning "eight o'clock," only refers to the time, so no, it wouldn't be used to mean the number 800.

「The audio is as follows
denwa bangoo wa san go ni san kyu ni ichi go hachiji desu」

I think you're mishearing the "hachiji" part. Given the context of the sentence, it should have a strig of numbers followed by 「desu」 and then end. "Hachiji" wouldn't fit in terms of grammar or meaning, so I think you're probably mishearing "hachi ichi" or "hachi ni" as "hachiji."
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese telephone number reading 2021/8/25 22:59
It turns out yes, I was mishearing it. The problem was my computer audio being bad and the dude saying it so dang fast. It literally sounded like hachiji.

Appreciate you guys.
by Bryan Jean-Baptiste (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread