Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/27 16:41
Hi
I'm 194cm man.
Would it be comfortable form me in Japan?
Door height, bed length, staring people...
by ImFromRu  

Re: Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/28 01:21
You just have to duck sometimes, like getting on/off the train etc.
One thing I try to avoid is forward facing seats on city buses (long distance buses are fine), there is not enough leg room. Side facing seats are fine.
Overall, everything is smaller and tighter but you get used to it.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/28 20:12
Thanks

And what about height difference with other people? Just look at it https://multmetric.com/?person0=0-Avarage%20japan%20man-170.18-%23870B...
by ImFromRu rate this post as useful

Re: Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/30 02:02
What about the height difference? What are you worried about?
You are not the first nor will be the last tall foreign guy here, especially in the bigger cities...
You'll have some trouble finding fitting clothes, but nobody will stare at you.
by Almost as tall (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/30 07:12
My friend is over 2m tall. He enjoyed every moment of his stay in Japan.
by tattooedhiroko rate this post as useful

Re: Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/30 10:53
"Average" doesn't mean "everyone is this tall". There are the taller and the shorter than that number.
There are some Japanese guys or even ladies that are taller than you.
(And the info you got seems to be wrong. The average height of Japanese men is 171cm.)

In big cities, you will never be stared. There are too many foreigners and some of them are very tall.
You may be stared in the extreme countryside. But it's because you don't look Japanese.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/30 14:32
The comment about seats in a public transport bus is true. There is absolutely no leg room (and I'm 20cm shorter than you). It's not such a problem in longer distance buses compared to what you might see in Western Europe or the US.

The comment about people staring at you in the rural countryside is true. Although - its normally because they don't see foreigners that often. I am what is considered large in Japan and honestly the only time I've ever had a negative major stare or comment was from some primary aged kids in the countryside once - but this goes up against the 100+ times kids in the countryside have seen me on other occasions.

Most of the time in the countryside - people will look at you and smile in a friendly way.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is it comfortable for too tall people? 2021/8/31 14:59
May be you are right
Thank you!
by ImFromRu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread