Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2021/9/2 05:08
I'm currently completing my bachelors degree at the university of the people (UoPeople). It's a nationally accredited institution. I've done some searching around the forums but they lack the information I'm looking for.

How can I find out if Japanese immigration will accept a degree from this school?

https://www.uopeople.edu/
by Lea (guest)  

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2021/9/2 11:23
If it is nationally recognised like any other universty-college, then that is fine to use.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2021/9/4 18:51
In America, where this college is located, regional-accreditation is the gold standard.
National-accreditation is 2nd tier and it's not accepted everywhere.
I have no idea if it's accepted by Japanese immigrations.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2021/9/8 02:10
@ Lea

As the other poster stated, if it is a nationally accredited institution, then it will likely be accepted by immigration.

However, if you are using it for a work visa, it will be the bias of the companies you are applying to that can be the issue. There is no getting around such. You may have to prove yourself more or have a slightly harder time. On the flip side, you won't have the massive student debt to worry about.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2022/9/23 20:38
There are currently more than 500 students studying from Japan for a Bachelor or Master's degree. If it weren't accepted in Japan do you believe Japanese would study at UoPeople??
by Aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2022/12/1 22:03
I'm glad I didn't enroll in UOP. The free tuition thing was very tempting, so I was about to, then my gut feeling told me "Don't". But to answer your question, there shouldn't be an issue with your visa recognizing it as valid, as it's still accredited. My American father was enrolled in University Of Phoenix (another online academic institution that has somewhat of a "fishy" reputation ) while living in Japan on a visa, and it was recognized just fine.
by Christian Hirose Romeo Graham rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2022/12/5 18:32
I would agree the University of Phoenix has a less than stellar reputation but it's apparently regionally accredited.

Regional accreditation is basically accepted everywhere in the US.

National accreditation is not accepted everywhere, so you shouldn't assume it will be accepted.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2023/5/4 18:03
I heard that the UoP is US accredited... if it was Japan accredited then sure it can provide visa for student. But having no campus maybe immigration will not consider it an institution.

But anyway I have a question to you... I tried to enter the UoP but at first few years I tried I have no money to even pay for the minimum fee they ask.. and applied for the scholarship. I was so surprised to hear that they require a proctor for the exam and proctor is not free. And it seems like proctor fee is larger than the minimum fee they ask.. Can I ask how much money did you pay for the proctor? Did you pay once for the entire course like 200 dollars for the entire 4 year course? Or did you pay 200 dollars for each exam, like 1 exam per year so in case of 4 year course , 4 exams times 200 dollars for the total of 800 dollars?
by Al Tarik rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2023/7/9 18:08
This was asked two years ago so I was wondering if the person asking this question got a japanese visa? I want to study at Upeople but this concern me and everyone around me says that a degree from uofpeople is worthless so I do not want to waste my time
by emib rate this post as useful

Re: UoPeople Online degree valid for visa? 2023/12/22 23:28
If you want to study, go and ahead... I have also studied at the University of the people... I did my associate degree in Computer science. I applied to a University in Canada with my certificate and transcripts... I got accepted to the university... I am in the process of applying for a study permit.

It shouldn't be an issue getting a visa since the institution is recognized and one is pursuing a higher education.

However, please the person that started this thread should update us on their visa process.
by Israel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread