Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

to work in japan, what is the better option? 2021/9/24 06:20
Hi everyone

I am new at this forum place, iLm from spain , and i have been learning japanese at oficial language school of my city for two years (this year start the 3 course to complete A2 level, in europe scale reference of language level ), i am wondering what is the better option to live and work in japan (in the areas i like of course), iLm about to star electronic engineering, informatic enginereering , or Math science at university , but i canLt decide what is the best option to work , i think i am better programing, and i like it , also i like maths but i dont know if a mathematician would have work in japan , or an electronic enginerring . Please answer my question if you can of have experience...

Another important question is that if the japanese companies prefer private university students or public universities, because japanese people always want to study in a public university, but i prefer private for the subjets..

Im glat if you can answer me , greetings.
by Makoto1991  

Re: to work in japan, what is the better option? 2021/9/24 14:50
I can only give a general answer - but there seems to be two options available to you.

(1) Be a language instructor - but this would be difficult as there is not a large need (I think) for Spanish speakers. If you are looking at teaching English - this makes it more difficult as you may not be an English first language speaker. Others on the forum know more.

(2) Get an industry specific job. This one is not as easy as you think - as very few foreigners (unless living in Japan and complete Japanese university) get a job directly out of university. In general - people come to Japan for work as an expert in their field. Generally - something that people in Japan might not have an expertise in.

I'm sure that others after me can be more specific than what I have mentioned.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: to work in japan, what is the better option? 2021/9/24 16:24
And is very important if you come from a private university ir public university for work in japan? I say this cause japanese people like to study in a public university
by Makoto1991 rate this post as useful

Re: to work in japan, what is the better option? 2021/9/24 20:52
That really is an industry specific question. But in general - having experience BEFORE you come to Japan if you are an industry expert is more important than it being a private or public university.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: to work in japan, what is the better option? 2021/9/27 00:19
Japanese employers will probably see whether or not you meet requirements for visa application rather than you studied public uni or private uni.

I think, in Japan, when public universities are preferred, one of the reasons is financial situation, especially since there are many private universities which provide good courses and its students have succeeded to get a good job.
by Mabuhay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: to work in japan, what is the better option? 2021/9/27 21:20
Regarding public or private university, the Japanese company isnft really going to know your university in Spain anyway. And some of the most renown universities in Japan are private. (Others public)

Regarding what to study, all three specializations you are thinking about are quite similar, at least from a long term possibility of employment fields. I know that when you start university all these different curriculums seem to lead to totally different and quite predefined fields of work, but that isnft true. I would venture that most people who studied mathematics do NOT work as a mathematician.
Just to give you an example, when I needed to decide what to study, I was thinking of pharmaceutical science. I had the opportunity for a 2 weeks stage in a pharmacy, and found it incredibly boring. So I reconsidered and studied Biotechnology instead. A few years into my working life I changed jobs and ended up in a Pharma company and have since been working in Pharma, surrounded by pharmacists (and people who studied biology, chemistry, veterinarian science, nursing, and even completely unrelated courses at university, such as law). This instead of what precisely you study, it is much more important to choose a general direction (and you seem to be clear on that) and then choose your first job wisely.

Now for moving to Japan it is quite unlikely that as a new graduate from abroad youfll be able to land a job in Japan (except English language teaching, but as PP said as non native speaker that can be tricky too). It is much easier to find a job in Japan once you have a solid (many years) experience in your field. OR ALTERNATIVELY to study and graduate IN Japan. If moving to Japan is your sole purpose in life, I would probably go that route. This would mean to do about 2 years of language school in Japan until you are at N1 level, then enroll into university in Japan and then find a job as newly graduate as all your classmates will do. I am not saying that I suggest you doing this, but if getting a job in Japan after graduation is your goal this might be the easiest way.

Lastly regarding learning Japanese, in my experience Japanese is easy at the beginning and gets more complicated over time. E.g. if you are learning German or Russian even to build a pretty simple sentence you need to know a good amount of grammar (eg declination and conjugation, been tensec) in Japanese to make your first correct sentences at A1/A2 level you hardly need any grammar, only 2 irregular verbs, not a lot of verb tenses, no declination, no conjugationc yes, you need to memorize a lot of words and reading/writing is a challenge in Japanese from the get go, but speaking is relatively easy. But unfortunately it doesnft stay that way. Both the vocabulary gets more and more complicated (in European languages, if you speak one of them, that isnft true, the more complex the topic the more likely that European languages use the same word stem). An other complication of advancing in Japanese is a lack of learners. A lot of people give up after A2, so there are very few courses available beyond that point. For this reason I think really learning Japanese can best be achieved in an official language school in Japan. So if you have the possibility during your university years to go to Japan eg for 6 months for a language course that would be good. It will probably just bring you to N4, but it also gives you a good impression of how life in Japan really is.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread