Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living out of Japan as a student 2021/9/26 21:26
Hello,

3 months ago I have received my permanent residency status. Now I plan to leave Japan for a while, maybe for 2 years to study abroad, so basically I won't have any job. (I've got a scholarship in that university).

So here is the question, if you are not living in Japan, and literally you don't work anywhere else, do you need to pay taxes in japan? like income tax or permanent resident tax or for health and etc?
by Kotodamashi (guest)  

Re: Living out of Japan as a student 2021/9/28 16:17
My understanding is that you still need to file your taxes every year. I suppose you can file them late, when you return to Japan, but must pay a fine.

If you didn't do any work in Japan, then your income is going to be zero, and your resident tax will be zero too. That's in the usual case. If you have all kinds of investments, real estate, etc... the situation can be different.

The health insurance is a bit tricky. I think that as long as you bought some type of private health insurance, you don't have to pay for the national health insurance. When you come back to Japan, you would have to of course be under a health insurance plan. If you were on and then got off the national health insurance, they might ask you what was your previous insurance plan. Unless you show them proof of previous private insurance, they might try to force back payments, but this is hard to say in the case of person who was not living in Japan.

The other thing is to be careful about the re-entry permit date and not to exceed it, as that is a way to lose permanent residency.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Living out of Japan as a student 2021/9/28 19:30
Thank you so much for your detailed respond! ;-)
by Kotodamashi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living out of Japan as a student 2021/9/29 07:12
Though you said that your activities will be that of a student, something to be careful about is if you do decide to work in another country. Permanent residents are required to report foreign income too.

If you are working overseas, it would be best to keep copies of any invoices, bank statements, or documents like W-2. You can file taxes online, though some scenarios can get a bit complicated, as oppose to having assistance at a Japanese tax office.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread