Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent Resident- Job Changing 2021/9/26 21:43
Hello all,

Excuse me, I have (another) question.
I know if I have permanent residency I can freely change my job as long as it's legal of course.
But what if my permanent R status guarantor is my current work place boss?
will I face any problem if I revoke my working relationship with her and work somewhere else?

Thank you so much in advance.
by Kotodamashi (guest)  

Re: Permanent Resident- Job Changing 2021/9/27 12:45
It depends on the circumstances and your boss' personality. But if you were to quit the job relatively soon after he/she helped you getting the permanent residence, I would expect most bosses to feel a certain annoyance at least, especially if it is a small company.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident- Job Changing 2021/9/27 14:17
Oh thank you for your prompt reply.
My boss is almost fine, but regardless of her feelings, can the change itself effect my PR status LEGALLY because she was the guarantor?
Thanks
by Kotodamashi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident- Job Changing 2021/9/29 07:04
From what I've heard , there are 2 scenarios where it can possibly affect PR status.

1) The boss (or guarantor) contacts immigration directly and asks not to be the guarantor. Immigration might ask for the permanent resident to provide a new guarantor.

2) Immigration asks the person if all information given to them previously is the same, thus forcing the reporting of any changes.

This would be unusual, but there are various reasons for it, like if an investigation is conducted. Could also possibly be the case if the permanent resident has changed their name.

In both scenarios, it doesn't appear that permanent residency is revoked, but rather updates to information are given. If immigration asks for a new guarantor, it appears that failure to provide one can result in revocation. However, should be relatively easy for someone being in Japan for many years to provide a new one.

Also, if you are changing jobs or say getting divorced, it doesn't mean that your previous boss or spouse can't still be your guarantor. My understanding is that they have to specifically object to being so and don't want to be on any documentation at immigration.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread