Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does Ginzan Onsen allow tattoos? 2021/10/12 16:45
Hello,

I am a Canadian hoping to visit Japan in the future. I know some onsens do not allow people with tattoos.

So I was wondering if Ginzan Onsen in particular allows people with tattoos?

by Eri (guest)  

Re: Does Ginzan Onsen allow tattoos? 2021/10/12 19:49
In general, tattoos are not allowed in most public onsens. However this is slowly changing specifically when you are non-Japanese. It really depends on the onsen location.

One option is to hire a private onsen - or have one in your room. There seems to be one hireable private onsen at one of the public onsens in Ginzan.

Some other people on the forum may be able to tell you about specific onsens in Ginzan that accepts tattoos.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Does Ginzan Onsen allow tattoos? 2021/10/13 06:13
tattoo-spot.jp is pretty good for finding tattoo-friendly locations in Japan. You can use it to search for specific onsens you are planning on visiting, or just browse by geographical area. It is pretty reliable and there are actually WAY more than people realise.

Most Japanese people I speak to still think that onsens that will let you in with tattoos are an extremely small minority. This is false but I think they just assume that if a business does not explicitly advertise itself as tattoo-friendly then they must be prohibited. However I am heavily tattooed and most onsens I have visited have had no publicly advertised regulations for or against tattoos. I suppose that many businesses while not wanting to exclude people because of their tattoos, may also be wary of openly advertising themselves as "tattoo OK". Understandable.

It is always worth checking because if or when somebody tells you that you can't go to a specific onsen because you have tattoos, you will probably find 50% of the time they haven't actually done their research and are just assuming.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does Ginzan Onsen allow tattoos? 2021/10/13 07:58
Eri - listen to Liz's comments more than mine. Having tattoos and visiting Japan is going to be more accurate that not having tattoos (me) and visiting Japan.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Does Ginzan Onsen allow tattoos? 2021/10/13 16:15

I was wondering if Ginzan Onsen in particular allows people with tattoos?

http://www.fujiya-ginzan.com/
Very limited rooms, the tattoo would not be a problem here, getting a room will be.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread