Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Japan cruise but limited time in Hiroshima 2021/10/28 04:33
We are in Hiroshima port for only 8 hours. #1 on list is Hirshima museum etc from the atomic bomb. Also would like to see the Torri gates. Cruise line excursions only offers 1 or the other, not combination. We could take a private tour and try to see both--recommendations would be appreciated. My husband is a war history buff...
by Teresa Tsuji (guest)  

Re: Japan cruise but limited time in Hiroshima 2021/10/28 06:36
If you are a war history buff. The going to Kure and seeing the Yamato museum would probably be better.

https://yamato-museum.com/en/

It is about 20 mins out of the city. Also lots of naval vessels in the water nearby to view.

---

Where are you docking when arriving at Hiroshima? Everything you want to see can be accessed easily by tram or train. But getting onto those vehicles will be dependant on where you port.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan cruise but limited time in Hiroshima 2021/10/28 06:49
To add. Last I heard the Miyajima Tori were still under refurbishing, covered in scaffolding. Worth checking detail when closer to arrival date.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan cruise but limited time in Hiroshima 2021/10/28 07:03
The floating Torii gate at the Isukushima Shrine is still under renovation.
Check this site for updates. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3450.html

The question you should ask yourself first is "Do you still want to see it with scaffolding?"

If so, technically, it is possible to see both within 8 hours with a dedicated guide.

by ITO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan cruise but limited time in Hiroshima 2021/10/28 09:09
By the time you are able to get into Japan for your cruise the majority of the work on the torii gate may well be finished (unfortunately the shrine's web page is not especially helpful with the last major update a year ago http://www.itsukushimajinja.jp/construction.html).
You can do both Miyajima and the Peace museum in one day, although 8 hours makes the time spent in both places quite limited and you would not get to see all that both places have to offer.
As your husband is a history buff, I would suggest the museum, park, dome and a few other spots in that area. One of our previous guests (also a history person) spent SIX HOURS in the museum itself - an average visit is 45 minutes according to the museum's own research.
By contrast, while Itsukushima is famous, there are other locations on Miyajima that I would rate much higher for a visit, and while the o-torii is impressive, there are many other large torii gates around the country, and thousands of other shrines, but only a few good museums related to the atomic bombing and the Pacific War.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan cruise but limited time in Hiroshima 2021/10/28 17:49
As others say - it's theoretically possible to visit both locations in the same day but it's also going to significantly limit the time you spend at each. An example might be like visiting the Eiffel tower and the Versailles Palace in the same day if you are in Paris.

The comment about doing stuff in Hiroshima is probably a better idea. I almost visited the Yamoto museum a few years ago - it was just a bit out of my way.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread