Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/1 03:05
Hi all,
We plan to visit Japan again this Spring and will also visit Kokura to see the Castle and the Kawachi Fujien Wisteria Garden.
Does anyone know if there is a bike rental near Kokura Station as we (as real Dutchies) like to ride the bike.
The distance is not that far and the time it takes for the bus to get there is longer then we would use with the bike.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Marcel
by Marcel from NL  

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/1 15:29
I sympathize with you on there using a bicycle, just consider that there is generally no cycling infrastructure in Japan except potentially along rivers (generally speaking). In town it isnft such a problem because there are small residential roads. But outside of town youfll be on the road together with traffic and the roads often are quite tight. It is doable (and I have done 2 months of cycling through Japan), but here in the NL we get totally spoiled.

Kokura castle is about 12 min walking from the station. While the Wisteria garden is in the countryside. Here a possible route: https://www.komoot.com/tour/546478653?ref=itd

Regarding bicycle rental there is a public bicycle scheme in the city: https://kitaq.media/3775/

Beware that Japanese bicycles are extremely small and these city bicycles are generally incredibly heavy. They are meant to be used in the city, so I donft thing they are appropriate to cycle up to the garden. These ones here are e-bikes but I would worry about the battery range. So best to rent it first for the castle only, get a feeling for it and have an alternative means planned to get to the garden in case the bicycle is not up to the job.

I also found this place which seems to rent cross bikes: https://tabi-rin.com/archives/bicycle_info/32191. On this page are more information. http://npo-ido.com/business/rent02.html#2
You need to reserve by phone at least 5 days in advance and the shop itfs only open on weekdays. You can see a picture of the gcross bikeh midway through when you scroll down. Not sure I would call that a cross bike ☺️

Enjoy planning your trip and donft be disappointed if itfs going to 2023 and not 2022.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/2 03:38
Likebike always help newcomer of japan.And she already give you valuable information

However you can buy kitakyushu monorail 1 Day pass= 700 yen or 30 day pass=13100 yen
by Johnson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/3 13:07
Nishitetsu bus 1 Day=1000 yen
Mobile version 24 hour=800 yen,48h=1500y
Kitakyushu city bus 1 day=700 yen
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/7 21:26
Beside bike,you can use public transport.

Sunq bus pass northern version 3 day=9000 yen for unlimited travel fukuoka,oita,saga etc
by Markel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/11 05:06

Thank you all very much for your information
by Marcel from NL rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/13 19:35
Bike rental is not expensive in japan.
Beside you can buy JR kyushu northern pass
3 Day=9500 yen
5 Day=11000 yen
by Imran khan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/15 02:48
You can buy kitakyushu ittekimus Ticket= 1200 yen Mojiko to nishi kokura unlimited travel by JR And travel by nishitetsu bus in given area
by A obama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/18 03:36
Another option is to Buy JR Tabi meijin no kyushu mankitsu kippu=11000 yen
by Boris johnson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/20 01:48
You can buy JR Fukuoka wide rail pass 2 Days
= 3060 yen unlimited travel non reserved seat
by Samantha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike rentals near Kokura Station 2021/11/20 15:22
I've been to the garden and it would be a really tough ride - about 300m uphill around winding roads. I suggest for there, you take a bus (or taxi, if you splurge) from Yahata. You will need to get your tickets at a convenience store - you can't just walk up and go in (with covid, maybe, but not normally).
It is a bit of a roll of the dice on guessing when the wisteria blooms, but end of April are early are usually good times (and more expensive).

Do search on older threats in this forum - there is lots to read about getting to the garden.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread