Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Citizens Leaving Japan 2021/11/22 13:07
Hi All,

In the past few days, I've been watching the news in my home country where talk of a travel bubble (without quarantine) with Japan and South Korea was going to be established.

In the end - it ended up being Japanese & Korean citizens with double vaccinations and a negative PCR test can visit Australia without quaranting.

That got me onto thinking - what are the requirements for Japanese people returning to Japan?
by mfedley  

Re: Japanese Citizens Leaving Japan 2021/11/22 15:17
what are the requirements for Japanese people returning to Japan?

Japanese people (and foreign residents of Japan) can return to Japan without requirements. They have to quarantine for at least 10 days if vaccinated. 14 days if not vaccinated.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Citizens Leaving Japan 2021/11/23 01:32
I know some citizens are going back and forth now. My daughter's new friend from middle school is a Japanese expat who is going back to Japan for a visit in December. The parents and older sister are already fully vaccinated and my daughter's friend got her first shot on the 13th (unsure if she is going back to the school's clinic on the 4th for the 2nd dose like we are or is doing it earlier elsewhere, but the whole family will be vaccinated.)

I'm surprised they still need to quarantine 10 days since I would think that is a good portion of their trip, though I am unsure how long they are spending there. My Japanese is only so good and their English is only so good. I've been assuming they are coming back to the US post their trip, since the friend hasn't said anything to my daughter that makes it sound permanent. (Though I also suspect at some point they will move back to Japan permanently. )
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Citizens Leaving Japan 2021/11/23 07:41
what are the requirements for Japanese people returning to Japan?
Quarantine is the main one. All of the normal requirements of the MoFA guidance apply.
I know someone returning for New Year and they are trying to time it so they will be out of quarantine in time to travel at the NY period. I think they are planning 4-5 weeks visiting family so while 10/14 days is a big slice of that, they will still have around three weeks. And then, they get two weeks quarantine heading back to NZ, despite being fully vaccinated and the levels of covid being much higher in NZ than in Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Citizens Leaving Japan 2021/11/28 15:35
@JapanCustomTours, just a small correction. At last NZ has shortened its quarantine time , from 17 Jan, Australians and Kiwi passport holders only do a week home isolation, Kiwis coming in from countries not considered hi risk, from 14 Feb, 1 week home isolation, but double vaxxed and neg covid test 72 hrs before leaving country… and tourists April 30 from other countries, not hi risk.. 7 days home isolation .. double vaxxed etc etc.
Yes, confusing, and honestly controlling compared with elsewhere, but certainly better than locked up in a MIQ hotel for 14 days as it was earlier.
by Kersy rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Citizens Leaving Japan 2021/11/29 07:56
@Kersy - those changes for NZ occurred the day after I did my post. Also, what you include is the barebones of the announcement (which are promising) and as usual the details are yet to be released. As the recent 8th November changes for Japan have certainly highlighted, headlines and details are often quite different.
And the killer for the NZ requirements is still effectively a 7-day quarantine for the foreseeable future (i.e. post-April 30th for visitors) - MIQ under a different name. With those rules in place NZ will be off the tourist trail for a long time yet.
For my own case, if I was to return to do something trivial like renew my drivers license (something that takes 15 minutes), I would be looking at an 8-day trip. Plus, as I don't have a home there, it would still be very similar to MIQ being stuck in a hotel for a week. On my return to Japan - 10/14 days unless something changes in the next few months.
Will wait and see.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread