Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Online shop select number of payments 2021/12/3 06:54
I live in Japan and often shop online.
When paying with debit or credit card, I often see this option...

Select number of payments (お支払い回数の選択/お支払い回数)
3 times ~ 24 times (3回払い to 24回払い)

To my understanding...
This means instead of paying one lump sum, you make multiple payments.

My questions are...

1. When is each payment due? Biweekly? Monthly?
The two websites I shop at the most don't say and there's no where to click for more information.

2. Does this work with Japanese credit cards only? Or does it work with American credit cards too?
I only use my American Visa debit card when shopping online.
by dmo (guest)  

Re: Online shop select number of payments 2021/12/3 16:11
Seeing that the web shop is offering it, I am assuming that it is the installment payment plan offered by the store (as against revolving or installment payments offered by your credit card company). But check if it is only available to their store cardholder, certain types of cards, or something? There may be some other eligibility criteria.

Usually in Japan when they have those installment payments, it is “usually” monthly, as people get paid their salary monthly, and to your second question, i must say i don’t know, you’d need to check the section on “payment” on that website.

But note that those store installment payment plans, just as with credit card company’s revolving or installment plans, would come with interest/fees on top of the purchase amount.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Online shop select number of payments 2021/12/3 23:21
generally speaking, it is shown when you choose credit card payment. credit card companies offer such payments in Japan. so I think those payments are specific for the Japanese cards.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread