Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Only Nozomi Shinkansen from Hakata to Honshu? 2021/12/10 03:35
When I look at this pdf I can only see the Nozomi trian running from Hakata to the Honshu Island?

https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/timetable/_pdf/220201_220228.p...

Can anyone explain why the other trains are not displayed here? I am planning a trip for next year with the JR Pass and would love to use the Hikari of Sakura train instead of Nozomi.
by Miki (guest)  

Re: Only Nozomi Shinkansen from Hakata to Honshu? 2021/12/10 05:42
Many more trains besides Nozomi are run between Hakata and Honshu, especially Sakura and Kodama trains, but also a small number of Mizuho trains. The reason why they are not shown on the linked timetable is because it is a timetable for JR Central which operates trains between Tokyo and Osaka. They do not list trains that run exclusively outside their service area, i.e. the trains between the western tip of Honshu and Kyushu. For that you should use a timetable like this:
http://www.hyperdia.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Only Nozomi Shinkansen from Hakata to Honshu? 2021/12/10 08:10
Many times I have ridden the non-Nozomi trains between Honshu and Kyushu.
What you are discovering is that for some longer trips you simply need to change trains as not all routes are available as a single service. The Tokyo to Hakata Nozomi service is one of the longest trips you can do in one go. You will also note that those timetables also do not show any shinkansen trains down to Kagoshima-Chou and those services certainly run.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Only Nozomi Shinkansen from Hakata to Honshu? 2021/12/10 08:56
There are lots of non-Nozomi trains running. I've been on them countless times. The Nozomi trains have far fewer stops than the others. And there are lots of shinkansen stations between Hakata and Kansai, as well as going farther northwards.
If there were only Nozomi trains, how on earth could you ever take a shinkansen and stop at one of them??
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread