Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

electrical voltage / france and japan 2022/1/5 22:23
My compagny need to supply an electrical cabinet to our customer in Japan.

Our cabinet is designed to be supplied with 230VAC.
I understand that in Japan, they only have 200 VAC.

- Do I need a transformer to step down the voltage?
- Is the 200VAC from Japan supplied between a neutral and a phase?
by tgmtgm (guest)  

Re: electrical voltage / france and japan 2022/1/6 12:44
It is 100 volts. 50 or 60 Hz depending on which part of Japan you are residing.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: electrical voltage / france and japan 2022/1/6 12:48
The voltage in Japan is 100V.
So if you bring in an appliance/equipment that is designed to operate on 230V, the client needs to be provided a gstep-uph transformer to convert 100V to 230V to be able to run your equipment.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: electrical voltage / france and japan 2022/1/8 00:10
As a science teacher who has lived in a couple of countries - the info provided is correct. However - I think it's a bit more complicated than just purchasing a cheap step up or step down transformer.

You need to consider what it's being used for. Will there be enough ventilation as some transformers get hot quite quickly. Will the tolerance for high powered devices be needed? For example - a rice cooker uses a large wattage and will it be easy to replace once someone does something stupid and it needs to be replaced.

I think speaking to someone who really knows the electrical systems and needs of your customers is needed. You probably won't find it on this forum - but I've been shown to be incorrect here before.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: electrical voltage / france and japan 2022/1/16 20:12
While I cannot answer the question I can give some info. While the domestic supply is 100v the 3 phase factory/commercial supply is 200v. See this very old thread. https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+89181
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread