Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Snow Monster Tips 2022/1/17 00:00
I have never been to see the snow monsters, but I've been looking into the possibility of trying to see them at Zao or Mount Hakkoda.

If both have well-formed snow monsters, do you recommend Zao or Hakkoda?

I know that the Mt. Hakkoda Ropeway is often closed due to high winds. Do the Zao gondolas run all the time or are they often stopped, as well? Can you see them without the gondolas? It would be a trip to visit either destinations, so I'd like to maximize my chances of being able to see them.

Any recommendations on what to wear (or rent)? For example, are regular boots enough? I won't be skiing.

If I go to Zao, is it difficult to get reservations to see the Light-up?
by Rabbityama  

Re: Snow Monster Tips 2022/1/25 20:12
I have been to both places. ​I would not hesitate to recommend Zao, especially for the Light-up.
Do the Zao gondolas run all the time or are they often stopped, as well?
Not sure, possibly they will temporarily stop if the weather is very bad. The weather was fine when we were there.
Can you see them without the gondolas?
No, the snow monsters are on top of the mountain, too far away from the base station.
is it difficult to get reservations to see the Light-up? I do not recall having to make a reservation, just purchase the ropeway ticket and off you go. I would like to recommend a nice hotel next to the ropeway station: https://www.zao-kokusaihotel.jp/
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread