Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/26 07:34
I am a junior in high school in America, and I was planning to move to Japan and study and get a computer science degree there, then after I am done I want to move back to the U.S. So I wanted to know would my degree be credible to get a job in U.S. or would I have to take tests and or take classes to get a job in the U.S.?
by AbdelwahabGohar  

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/26 20:52
What is the reason you want to study computer science in Japan, if you want to work in the US? If you intend to find work in the US, i would say it would make more sense for you to go to a college/university in the US.
On top of it, I thought that computer science might be one of the fields where education in the US is better than in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/26 22:12
I would say my reason for wanting to study in japan is because I love the country so much an I've always wanted to go so i thought that i can go and at the same time study. since japan is so highly technologically advanced it would make since that they would be good at computer science.
by AbdelwahabGohar rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/27 09:09
Have you thought about just doing a year abroad? Are you fluent in Japanese?
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/27 11:00
If you are planning to attend a university in Japan in the Japanese language, youfd need to study the language for a more years before you can be accepted (or you would need to choose a university which offers course in English AND have a reputable computer science department), so if the reason is simply that you like the country, a year of exchange, or an extended travel might be a better choice.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/27 15:43
Well, as an employer one could also see it as an advantage that this applicant didnft go the straight line, but instead did overcome some adversities and managed to study abroad.
So assuming that you are not fluent in Japanese (written and oral) , and assuming that there are some universities in Japan that offer computer science in English, they donft necessarily need to be ghigh classh, as long as it is a legit university degree.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/28 18:20
There are a lot of variables here and some good comments have already been made.

If you want to work in the US after completing your degree - then you'd probably NEED your degree to be in English. You'll need to research if this actually exists and it's really up to the employer if it's accepted.

For more US based companies - having an overseas degree will be seen as a bit odd and unknown and will put you in the "too hard basket". For some companies having experience living overseas might be a bonus - but we don't really know.

I will say that visiting and living in a country is a very different thing. Do you speak basic Japanese yet? If not - then this is something which will make a HUGE difference if you decide to study in Japan.

So to put it simply - the answer is maybe. You need to find a university degree in Japan that covers the topics you need in English. Then that school/university will need to help support you get a student visa. Then the jobs you want in the US may be fickle with an overseas degree. Also - working overseas will also not help you gain local industry experience and contacts which always helps with getting your first job.

As an example - my first degree was in Geology (mining). I got to know some people in my home country specifically if I was completing some post-grad work which would help me get a job in my home country. This would not have been possible if I completed the work overseas and wanted to return home.

The comment about an exchange year in Japan seems like a great idea.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/29 01:16
Hi again!

My husband is in Tech and works for a very well known company. His company regularly hires people with accredited International degrees, usually from India, but there have been people from elsewhere as well. So having a foreign degrees doesn't really matter, so long as the school is accredited. Knowing people can be helpful to make sure you get paid what you deserve or to help you move within companies or to other companies, but is not quite as important when first starting at a company vs. if you want to go into academia. In Academia, it's all about who you know. This is specifically about Computer Science. Other degrees can be much harder to transfer Internationally, think medicine and law.

My husband says Japan isn't really known as the best of the best for anything in Computer Science to his knowledge. The two top schools overall for Computer Science are still MIT and CalTech. He says Glasgow and Zurich have some really well known programs in specific fields. It's possible Tsukuba does as well, just not in something he's interested in. He also said many companies just don't care about where specifically you went to Undergrad, as long as it is accredited, you really got the degree you are claiming you received, you know your stuff, and you can communicate.

US companies don't care about overcoming adversity. That's the sort of thing US colleges and universities love, and can get you a great entrance essay topic. US companies care that you know your stuff. Whether you are paying ~7300 a year in tuition to Hunter College or 54,000 a year in tuition to NYU, if you have a degree and can prove you know your stuff and can communicate you will get a job.

If you're trying to get out of the exorbitant cost of a secondary education in the US, I am unsure Japan is the answer.

Knowing Japanese (which you will need to do to get a degree at a Japanese university) is not particularly helpful unless you get a job that specifically needs Japanese language skills, which most in the US do not. This includes (as an example) when my husband actually did tech with a Japanese bank in NYC. Most of his co-workers were Japanese and he even received bilingual meishi, but he did not need to know any Japanese himself. My husband does know German, he has yet to use it for any job.

Again, if you don't know Japanese and have never been to Japan, I would highly recommend trying for a year abroad instead.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/30 16:17
since japan is so highly technologically advanced it would make since that they would be good at computer science.
haha..now that is something you need to see and experience it yourself
by ff (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is a Japanese degree credible in the U.S.? 2022/1/31 13:29
thank you every one for helping me make a decision and I have realized that a decision like that can't be made easily so istead of going to study in japan i will strive to get into MIT. again thank all of you so much :)
by AbdelwahabGohar rate this post as useful

reply to this thread