Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/27 13:36
I'm planning to stay on japan when I get there and I need to find a way to. I want to get an internship in order to apply for a student visa then work part time to sustain. Is that possible?
by May (guest)  

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/27 15:38
In my experience for internship you need a visa of gdedicated activities g which is different from a student visa and you canft work part time.
Please study the different visa categories.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/27 20:31
For internships, depending on the length and if it's a paid or unpaid intership, there are different types of visa available.

One would be the "Designated Activity Visa" (“Á’芈“®, tokutei katsudou), which is for paid internships. Usually, you need to be a university student, in order to do this kind of internship. (It's mainly required by companies, that you are enrolled in a university during the period of the internship. But I guess there are also companies that don't require it.)

Another type would be the "Cultural Activity Visa" (•¶‰»Šˆ“®, bunka katsudou), which is for unpaid internships. And for unpaid internships that do not exceed a period of 90 days, people from visa-free countries do not need to apply for the Cultural Activities Visa.

So, if you want to stay in Japan on a student visa, you need to get enrolled in a language school, university etc. But as you might know, neither student visa nor visa for internships, worker etc., are currently issued.
by Yvi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/27 22:29
I don't think there is an internship for high school students.
also, the government does not allow that low-level educated foreigners work in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/28 08:51
If doing a unpaid inturnship. You need to prove you have enough savings to live before you enter the country.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/28 18:04
Ooh boy - I feel as though this is my "get off my lawn" grandpa moment.

There are a lot of "need to know more" questions before a lot of us can give you accurate information.

It will start with: how are you getting to Japan to live?

If your answer is buying a plane ticket and then start living - IT WILL NOT LEGALLY HAPPEN!

You need a visa to work in Japan (unless you are Japanese - and then why are you asking this question on an English speaking forum???) which you will not get as a foreigner for work.

Also - who will be your legal guardian in Japan? What skills, work experience or qualifications do you bring to Japan to get you a work visa?

Basically no countries allow minors to live in a country and work by themselves because they want to. If you are coming over with family (who have a job or such and your classed as a dependent) or are Japanese then this might be a different story.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/29 08:43
@mfedley - the clue is in the phrase and I need to find a way to.
I think your "get off my lawn phrase" is appropriate here (and it made me laugh). They have not done their basic research or thought about how they might navigate the various hurdles and simply wanting someone else to solve the problems that they should have looked into before posting.
To the OP, this forum is littered with kids thinking they can move to Japan without even thinking about the basic practicalities of such a move. As a minor (and not even close to adult in Japan law - 20) you will not be able to enter into contracts so something as basic as somewhere to live (signing a rental agreement) simply will not happen.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/29 09:36
Re JCT - I am a teacher so I'm used to telling people what to do.

I also agree that we get quite a few kids here asking for info often on random stuff. Some is realistic, some contains not enough info and some will never happen.

My favourite one was a person who knew they would get into medicine without speaking a word of Japanese and thought that they could learn the whole language in 12 months. Plus they wanted a scholarship
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/29 15:21
I remember that one. We have had a few doosies recently. But this forum has always been uses as Google instead of Google. Doosies will continue to surface.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/1/29 21:35
I want to get an internship in order to apply for a student visa then work part time to sustain

So, is your purpose to become an intern just to get a student visa? Are you intend to study as a student?
by Mabuhay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/2/2 07:36
Hello again. Student visa is for those students who are accepted by a school, and they must meet criteria to get it. Engaging part time job (and internship as well if I remember correctly) without a permission by immigration (not your school) and working longer than allowed working hours are illegal.

Visas for working are as well, they are for people who have a contract with an employer, and they must meet criteria to get it. To find a job in Japan, a degree is necessary, employers (rather than immigration) tend to see candidates a degree holder or not (rather than actual skills and abilities) (some Japanese people decide even marriage seeing boyfriend/girlfriend is a degree holder or not).

However, there are people who say as if student visa is what students in home country apply to get Japan to make money, insisting that even part time jobs/internship/training for students in Japan are well paid so that you can be wealthy. There are also people who say as if job in Japan is easy to find if you pass JLPT or take a training course by a job agency, ignoring local culture and visa criteria.

So what I suggest is, completing your high school in your country at first. Then you think what you want to do in Japan - studying or working, as well as what you need to realize it.
by Mabuhay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: getting an internship at japan at 16 2022/2/4 23:41
@ ken
> the government does not allow that low-level educated foreigners work in Japan

Wow, you mean all those Filipina bar hostesses and Brazilian factory workers and Vietnamese construction workers all have university degrees?
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread