Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent residency with different visa 2022/2/9 12:24
Hi All:

I have a question regarding application for permanent residency. My husband has the following visa categories:

Currently:
7 years continuous: business management visa;

If he cannot get a renewal due to Covid, he is thinking of becoming my dependent so that he doesn't have to leave the country.

In this case, he will have a dependent visa for one to two years before reapplying for business management visa.

In this case, it would be:
7 years business management visa + 1/2 years dependent visa + 3 years of business management visa
= total 10 years business management visa

Will the gap in between on the dependent visa restart his 10 year period? Or would he be ok as long as he finishes the 10 year period on the business management visa?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

by hevene  

Re: Permanent residency with different visa 2022/2/10 20:02
They will not only consider how many years you lived in Japan, they will also consider how you spend those period while you were in Japan. You can leave 15 years, but still cannot meet criteria of getting permanent residency. Or you can live 8 years, but with a beautiful history without any problems occurred (paying bills in time, no trouble with society and etc.), there is a chance to get it faster. So, depends on individual case by case. Try to contact them, they will let you know what to do
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent residency with different visa 2022/2/10 20:03
My bad, it should be gliveh rather than gleaveh. I apologize.

Re: Permanent residency with different visa 2022/2/10 21:08
Thank you for your response.
by hevene rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent residency with different visa 2022/2/11 07:56
If you are thinking about a dependent category (I assume you are not Japanese), there are restrictions on what work and hours he can do. Also, if you swap from one to another and back again, getting a 3 or 5 year business visa next time is less likely.
You need to wait for the result of the business visa renewal first - they (Immigration) are applying the rules a bit differently because of the impact of Covid so he may still get an extension.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent residency with different visa 2022/2/16 21:49
Have you tried to apply for the permanent visa?

I guess that, it will take a bit more time than for usual visa application. However, there is a chance that they can review your documents a bit kore faster compared to the past; ss botders are closed and less people (i guess) apply for the visa application (at least for dependent visa applicants).

reply to this thread