Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Religious visa work 4 short missions? 2022/2/24 17:47
My wife and I have been trying to get into japan for the last 2 1/2 years for a short term missions trip.

We saw articles that allow us to apply for religious visa if our church and the church we are going to both approve, but I saw you have to have a tax ID. Can we bring a team of around 10 people for 2-3- weeks for a short term mission trip under the same visa? The church we are working with in Japan has been desperately asking us to come and support them the last few years.
by Peter chien (guest)  

Re: Religious visa work 4 short missions? 2022/2/24 20:20
A visa is always bound to a specific person. So , no, you cannot bring other people under gyourh visa. Everyone needs to get their own visa.

Per this page it seems you need a religious activity visa only if you are staying more than 90 days (assuming you come from a visa waiver country)
https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/travel_and_visa/visa/work-...

However visa waiver is currently suspended. From 1st of March borders will open a tiny bit with max 5,000 people (foreigners and Japanese) allowed in per day. Foreigners that are tourists are NOT allowed entry. However business travelers are. HOW this entry will be managed is still totally unclear. Last time they opened the borders to new residents and businesses travelers there was an application process that the receiving organization in Japan needed to do. It is probable that something like this will be needed again, albeit a bit lighter than last time.

In your situation I think your receiving organization should speak with immigration office and get all steps explained. My gut feeling is that it is quite unlikely that youfll be able to make the trip before borders are opened to tourists again.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Religious visa work 4 short missions? 2022/2/25 08:04
My wife and I have been trying to get into japan for the last 2 1/2 years for a short term missions trip.
In that case, you should know that your entry to the country would only be granted under exceptional circumstances. A mission trip would not qualify, and short-term entry is not allowed. You are, in essence, a tourist/temporary visitor and millions of other people have been denied entry. Your case is simply not exceptional. Wait until the borders re-open.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Religious visa work 4 short missions? 2022/2/25 08:52
At present - Japan is first opening up to workers, family visas, business visas and students.

This is a huge step for Japan - as they tend to be very conservative with opening the borders. We might not agree with it - but it's their country and there is very strong and vocal support for this.

As such - you will have to do the same as all of us who are not in the list above - wait.

When will the borders open - your guess is as good as mine.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread