Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa for language school student? 2022/3/7 19:08
Ifm struggling a bit with this because of a lot of conflicting information online. Im interested in moving to Japan to study Japanese for a year. If I enroll full time at a licensed, reputable Japanese language institute, is it possible to secure a spouse visa for my wife?

Some information online says yes, others say there are 2 kinds of student visas and only university students are eligible for spouse visas.

Does anyone have any clarity on this matter?

Some additional information if it helps:

- wefve been married for two years and currently live abroad together as a married couple. Wefve been together for nearly 8 years
- we both have Masters degrees and long track records of employment
- we both have plenty of savings, in excess of a yearfs salary for each of us
- wefve both been to Japan multiple times
- my wife has rental properties that provide her with a steady source of passive income

I know with covid and all this isn't a right now issue but wefre trying to plan for next year and this question has become a sticking point.
by yracademy  

Re: Spouse visa for language school student? 2022/3/8 12:15
No. A student is not a permanent resident. So cannot get spouse visa for partner.

She needs to enter under her own visa.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa for language school student? 2022/3/8 16:44
From your question, I take it that neither of you are Japanese.
When we say gspouseh visa, normally we are referring only to the visa gspouse of Japanese nationalh or gspouse of permanent resident,h thus the above answer. What you are looking at should be gdependenth visa.

However, as some others might have told you, unfortunately the spouse of those studying at a Japanese language school on gstudenth visa are not eligible for gdependenth visa.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa for language school student? 2022/3/8 18:17
the reason is that Japanese language schools are not recognized as educational organizations. they are private business companies.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa for language school student? 2022/3/9 10:10
Thanks for the advice. And yeah sorry I mean gdependenth visa for a spouse. I was unaware of the actual name and see how calling it a spouse visa is confusing.

So basically, from what I understand, theres no way for a married couple to remain in Japan while only one of them studies at a language school?
by yracademy rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa for language school student? 2022/3/9 15:23
Well, depending on the passport she holds, she could come on a 90 day tourist visa (once borders are open again). For a few countries these 90 days are even extendable to 180. For others, the normal solution is to leave Japan for some days and come back. Itfs probably hard to do that for a very long time but it works repeatedly. (There are other- old- threads in here that discuss this topic more in detail).
Depending on her age and nationality working holiday visa would be an other option. She doesnft need to work on it.
And a third option could be the special tourist visa for grich peopleh. I think you said she had property, so maybe she also has cash. If I remember correctly you need to have 30,000,000 Yen and then can apply for that visa which is a 1 year tourist visa.

It all depends a bit on her nationality. But there are options.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa for language school student? 2022/3/9 17:17
Why doesn't she do language school also?
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread