Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Path to self registered 2022/3/28 11:19
I know that question has been asked before but since my situation is different than others I figured I could ask as well.

I have been living in Japan for 7 years now and have secured 2 new contracts with my boss. I get paid ⅔ of what used to be my salary as an English teacher and the last third as an independent to make his website among other IT things.

The point is I need to register as self-employed to declare this amount to the government.
My plan is to leave English teaching progressively to become 100% self employed, I will do free lance work not just for my boss but also other customers online.

I heard if you can prove an income of 250000yen per month you don't need to be sponsored by a company anymore so I could then work as an independent forever in Japan.

I will get my first paycheck as an independent on the 10th of June. And I am trying to sort out all I need to do.

This IT work will make me 120000yen per month for now but hopefully more once I find customers online.

Thank you for your help
by jrme4211  

Re: Path to self registered 2022/3/29 12:04
So I am assuming that you have been (so far) employed full-time by one employer under Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services resident status, and want to go independent.

For you to be able to renew the current resident status while becoming a freelancer, yes, youfd have to be able to show that you will/do have continuing contracts with multiple clients, revenues from which would add up to a certain amount per month. As far as I know, what the immigration authorities will look for are that the nature of the work you do is in line with the requirements for the engineer/specialist inc status, that the remuneration is in line or higher than the locals would get, and that there is continuity and stability in the contracts you have/will have (they will want to check the contracts for the term, remuneration, location, etc.).

In light of that, it might not be accepted if the work is completely remote/work-from home, because then you would not need to be in Japan, or if the nature of contracts are short-term/spot jobs. I have heard that there will be gone main employerh who would be paying you the largest amount among your clients, and they need to present the case that you are needed in Japan.

Also once you become a freelancer, youfd need to do your own tax filing, enroll in the national health insurance/pension systems (not the ones provided by the full-time employer so far), so if you need one, you might want to look for a tax accountant.

You might want to consider retaining an administrative scrivener to get some suggestions. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread