Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Best place for traditional Japanese facbrics 2022/4/9 13:35
Good afternoon everyone,
After a 7 year break we are beginning too think we might try to return to Japan in Autumn 2023: hopefully borders and pandemic will be manageable by then.

Where would be the best place in Japan to purchase traditional Japanese fabrics? My friend makes the most beautiful quilts, and will be travelling g with us. She woulds love to spend a couple of days in and out of traditional fabric stores.

With thanks
by AusTF  

Re: Best place for traditional Japanese facbrics 2022/4/9 21:13
Hello,

I gather you're not looking for fabrics to create a whole kimono or dress, but just tiny pieces of fabric for patchwork. If so, you can go to second-hand kimono shops and ask for "ha-gi-re" (waste cloth). Feel free to pinpoint a city so that someone can do a more detailed search for you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Best place for traditional Japanese facbrics 2022/4/10 02:24
If you are going to be in Tokyo at any point you could just go to "fabric town" in Nippori

https://www.nippori-senigai.com/en/shop_category/all-en/
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Best place for traditional Japanese facbrics 2022/4/10 09:42
Thank you both Uco and Stan Norrell. We have no itinerary as yet, (it is still very "pie in the sky")but I imagine we would be Tokyo, Kyoto and Kanazawa as a minimum. And correct, she would not want "dress lengths" at all, simply "patchwork quilting" useful pieces, and easily transported home to Aus.
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Best place for traditional Japanese facbrics 2022/4/10 17:34
Japanache at Southport on the Gold Coast has quite a lot of fabric offcuts, and the second hand obis are made of nice silk.

i bought some recently for a project for my missus.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best place for traditional Japanese facbrics 2022/4/11 23:32
As Stan Norrel said, the "Fabric Town" in Nippori (Tokyo) is really worth a visit!
You can get Cotton-Fabric with lovely japanese patterns not only per Yard (or metre) but in "patchwork-size" rolls. Easy to carry home. :-)

At Fabric Town you can get everything for sewing like buttons and modern patterned fabrics or silk fabrics too.

Most of the shops are open on weekdays (10:00 to 18:00) and be closed on sundays!

Happy Sewing! :-)

Greetings from Germany,
Vio
by Vio (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread