Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Type of covid test after arriving in Japan 2022/4/25 21:41
After arriving in Japan, what kind of covid test will I have to do at the airport? A rapid antigen test or a RT-PCR test that takes a longer time for the result to come out?
by DanielChris  

Re: Type of covid test after arriving in Japan 2022/4/26 06:04
A saliva antigen test. It takes about an hour until the results are out.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Type of covid test after arriving in Japan 2022/4/26 07:32
It takes about an hour until the results are out.
It might take as little as an hour, but reports from places like Narita suggest the testing of everyone has seriously slowed down getting through the airport with five hours being reported and up to seven hours. Simply airports are not hospitals/medical facilities and rather designed to move people efficiently.
(reference is from a JT article this week https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/04/22/national/entry-cap-airpor... )
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Type of covid test after arriving in Japan 2022/4/26 08:18
Our test took roughly 9 hours last year during summer time and my wife had to wait for 4-5 hours this spring. So be ready to spend a while at the airport after arriving
by max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Type of covid test after arriving in Japan 2022/4/27 07:42
@Max - I believe previously (based on people I know arriving back into the country) they were doing full PCR tests, not the quick antigen tests being used now. So 4-5 hours was pretty normal and with an over-night quarantine in an airport hotel the delays were a little more bearable.
But, the process is still complicated and slow, even if you have done everything correct. The following link to the experience of someone eligible for "fast track" and it still took them three hours.
https://skift.com/2022/04/24/a-japanese-reporters-travel-diary-shows-n...
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread