Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/2 19:22
Hi // i am getting an opportunity to work in japan //

i am around 50 years of age-male //my office area would be in Setagaya, Tokyo// i would like to have an opinion on stay on rent option// i want to stay very close and prefrably walk or use bicycle to office// i would have only my wife moving along with me// so only two of us //what options do i have for decent houses on rent // I know Tokyo is costly when comes to rent//so if i want to stay on a spacious house and little outside the city travelling by train then what are my options// i do have gardening as my hobby so house with a garden and little less heavy on rent with deent sorroundings will be best for me// thnks
by RAJIBC  

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/3 08:00
If your company arranged rental apartment,it will be better.but if you want rent an apartment by yourself,then you need to stay hotel for few days after coming japan.

As a tourist i stay few weeks in 1980 yen hotel.so i paid 1980 yen +10% vat=2180 yen per day.so it is really cheap.because A Lot of hotel cost 20000 yen per day.
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/3 11:43
Rent in/around Tokyo varies considerably depending on the location (station/line and the distance from public transportation), size, etc. I cannot even give you suggestions without knowing what you would consider "spacious." A "house with a garden" sounds a bit ambitious.

I might suggest asking your employer what housing support they can provide you (either in the form of housing subsidy, or in the first place with your search for your accommodation), or ask the Indian community in/around Tokyo - there seems to be one Indian community in Tokyo, though this is located in the eastern part of Tokyo, so opposite from Setagaya.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/3 13:15
RAJIBC, I'm a little confused. You say ui want to stay very close and preferably walk or use bicycle to officev but then also uif i want to stay on a spacious house and little outside the city travelling by train then what are my options?v. So which is your priority, living within walking distance of the office, or living a little outside the city?

Setagaya itself is a fairly large area, so if your priority is living with walking/biking distance of your office, it might be helpful to tell us where in Setagaya your office is. You might want to brace yourself, though, because
uwalk or use bicycle to officev
ua spacious housev
ugardenv
udecent surroundingsv
are all things that add to the cost of rent (spacious and garden particularly, in Japan), so they might not fit with your desire for uless heavy on rentv, especially since Setagaya isn't a particularly low-priced part of Tokyo.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/3 14:53
Agree with PPs

A bit off topic, but many employers do not allow you to cycle to work. Many people DO cycle from their home to their train station, but cycling all the way to work isnft very common. So before considering a place to live check with your employer if you may cycle.

Regarding house search, maybe you can get some idea about costs , size, location by checking on homes.co.jp

I think the page only exists in Japanese, but with a bit of google translate you should be fine. At least to get a general idea.

Please also consider that when first renting a house/apartment it is very expensive. Be prepared to pay about 5 monthly rents before even moving in: deposit, agency fee, thank you money, key money, guarantator fee, rentc all sums up. So if your company can help that is preferable.
Alternatively there are also UR apartments where the initial fees are considerably lower.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/3 18:46
There are so many around there. One tip maybe is to find a suburb that has a cafe furniture just like in https://ax-design.jp/ so that it will have a nice edge for you while you are resting.
by Aurearea rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/6 05:09
Most important thing to rent a house in japan
You need a japanese guarantor or hoshonin
Or hoshonin gaisha
by Masaherothyme (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/6 06:54
Tokyo can be expensive, but for normal people it is not. You list several things that would make for an expensive rental; size, location, outdoor space. You would also add age of the property. Yes, you can spend 4M/month on a place, but 50k/month is also doable.
For most people, a modest apartment can be quite cheap - I have lots of space, utilities included, and the place is not new, but not so old - I pay a lot less than I would in my home country and I live in a nice neighbourhood. (And no guarantor.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/6 15:28
To be honest - your biggest problem will be finding a garden without paying a ridiculous amount.

Something that I stayed in when I lived in Japan was UR (Urban Renewal) which has a much lower cost for your first month's rent and such.

Also note that it can be more challenging for a foreigner to get an apartment or house to rent compared to a local. 99.9% of the time this has nothing to do with racism - just a very risk adverse society where a foreigner is more likely to leave unpaid bills (they can just go home) compared to locals. UR when I rented did not have this problem.

Others will know much more about this than me....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/7 22:28
thanks to all answers //

by RAJIBC rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/13 01:46
Rent an apartment: Too costly
You can consider share with your friends
by Jugantor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/14 01:41
If you share an apartment with your friend to save money, and in case you rent one for you and your wife then let somebody join you to live together later, I think you need to care about your contract.
by tenantA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/14 08:52
OP is 50 years old and married, sharing is fine when you are a bachelor in your twenties.
by K-way (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rent in nice suburb of tokyo - indian 2022/5/14 12:40
Regardless age, gender, and marital status, sharing can be not acceptable depending on contract and situation. For example, if contract says that you rent it for three people and the owner recognize who will live other than you and your wife, it is ok. However, if the contract says it is for two people, you and your wife, then you let somebody live without permission of the owner, it is not ok.
by Isourou (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread