Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hida Takayama to Yamanakako 2022/5/13 19:35
Hi All,

We are planning (COVID-permitting etc etc) to go to Japan in November.

Our itinerary includes going from Takayama to Yamanakako on 27/11/2022 (I know this is a long journey, but it is our only real long travel of the trip).

We will be staying near Takayama Station, and we then have an apartment booked near Yamanakako to go exploring in a hire car around Fuji Five Lakes and possibly Hakone. Our intention is to make the Takayama-Yamanakako trip by public transport, and then pick up the hire car.

My questions are:

1. What is the best way to get from Takayama to Yamanakako via public transport?
2. According to this website, there is a highway bus that runs between Takayama and Kawaguchiko, but it seems to no longer be available?
3. Where would be the best place to hire a car from?

Would really appreciate the help, as this seems to be the only logistically difficult part of our trip!

by chrissimmons21  

Re: Hida Takayama to Yamanakako 2022/5/14 06:22
1. What is the best way to get from Takayama to Yamanakako via public transport?

It is rather complicated:
Takayama - (bus) - Matsumoto - (train) - Kofu - (bus) - Kawaguchiko - (bus) - Yamanakako

2. According to this website, there is a highway bus that runs between Takayama and Kawaguchiko, but it seems to no longer be available?

Indeed, due to corona it is currently out of service.

3. Where would be the best place to hire a car from?

Because the trip is complicated and long, I would seriously consider renting the car from Takayama. Even if you consider the drop-off fee, a rental car may come cheaper than public transportation for two. And it will definitely be much faster. The roads along the way - especially between Takayama and Matsumoto - are quite windy and may be a little scary to unexperienced drivers. In late November you may also encounter some snow in the highest elevations between Takayama and Matsumoto.

You could also take the bus from Takayama to Matsumoto and hire a car from there.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hida Takayama to Yamanakako 2022/5/14 07:57
Honestly I have been considering renting in Matsumoto and then dropping off in Mishima to head on to Tokyo.

The drive from Matsumoto to Yamanakako looks like around 2.5 hours and roads donft look especially difficult?
by chrissimmons21 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread