Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/21 21:51
I had booked the tickets with a travel agency online, but they gave the ticket in which the visa was needed for the transaction. So, I was unable to travel with their tickets and neither I could claim any paybacks in the last moment of travel as the reason was not mine but the ticket route of the travel agency.

For example, if you book a ticket from Japan to Colombo and you have transit to Korea then the Visa of Korea is not required, but the ticket I had bought needed the Visa of the country I had transaction(according to the Airline), they had provided.

My Question: Are there any laws to take action against such online travel agencies or groups?
by Raakess (guest)  

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/22 11:36
Useless asking on a international forum.

Every nation has different consumer protection laws.

And even then some are very vague towards online sales.

You need to check your local laws and use a form of payment that offers buyer protections.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/23 02:38
If you have a problem about anything you bought in Japan, you can start by consulting at the National Consumer Affairs Center In Japan.
https://www.kokusen.go.jp/map/

By the way, I'm not sure if I understand. Are you saying that there was no mention about the visa requirements on the travel agency's website or any product you obtained? If so, I think it's the agency's responsibility to refund to you. But if they did mention it, then I'm afraid it's your responsibility.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/23 10:39
Yes, as long as it was a Japan based agency and they did something wrong so that your problem was caused, then you can consult a public organization called syouhisya center.

I think Japanese agencies generally mention on their site that customers should check a visa necessity and passport validation at own responsibility something like tha. They also remind me by email when I book a flight from Japan to another country not my country as I am non-Japanese who are required a visa in many countries. However, I don't think they can definitely say whether you need it or not because it is a thing that the embassy of your destination country decides.

Even if they are legally demanded to tell you that you need a visa, I am sorry to say you still needed to check it with the embassy, especially if you bought a ticket for Japan to somewhere and another 'kaigai hakken' ticket from somewhere to your country, not one ticket for Japan to your country via somewhere.
by Nalaka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/24 12:33
I totally agree with Nalaka, who kindly supported and added to my opinion. Meanwhile, for those who are planning to travel in the future, I encourage you to talk over the phone or meet in person with travel agency personnel who do accept phone calls and visits. Or you can exchange emails, which is sometimes even better, because you'd have a record of what you told each other.

Traveling overseas can be complicated than you'd imagine, especially if you're not a professional traveler. I used to work in the industry and still do a lot of traveling on my own, but even I talk to agencies if I'm not certain about something.

For example, on-line ticketing is completely different from the way tickets were issued and used in my youth (1980s-90s). So, I'd explain to agencies or airlines that I'm new to the on-line way of doing things, I'd explain all about my status, and I'd make sure I don't miss out on anything.

On-line agencies that do not provide that kind of service offer cheap tickets for a reason. They don't have to pay for the workers who take time to listen to you and offer accurate information. Instead, they have everything written down in tiny text, so that consumers can read it and buy things on their own risk.

Again, if they didn't have it written down, then the consumer has the right to ask for refunds and alternate services. But whatever the case, it's always worth talking to them politely about problems you suffered. Quite often, they will compensate for it in one way or another, because that's what service is supposed to be.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/24 16:50
if this is a travel to Japan, random tourists can't enter Japan. tickets buyers should know this information. I don't think it is online seller's defect, because buying ONLINE means that buyers can get such information by themselves (no additional services).@@I think this is "implicit understanding" between sellers and buyers.

those business understanding is everywhere: for example, until recently, old persons in Japan have used docomo, AU, and softbank (which have extensive service with no charge), although those are expensive than MNVOs (which have no service for how to use it).

by the way, it is highly unlikely that this kind of troubles happened, when OP bought one ticket from one airline company from the departure to the destination, even when there is a transit.
did which country, which transit airport, and which airline request the transit visa ?
they request all consumers for visas ?
is there any reason, for example, long transit interval ?
or, OP bought the two ticket independently ?

without detailed information, only with hearing from one side, I can't say anything. It is not clever enough to introduce OP to Á”ﶊˆƒZƒ“ƒ^[.
because there is a possibility of that this trouble might come from OP's misunderstanding or miss-usage of their website.

I just look around at some websites which sell airflight tickets. most don't show much information about visas. it seems that each buyer should confirm the visa necessity by themselves.
if you don't have much ability to get information, it is better to get a ticket from a real store honestly.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/26 10:34
I'm not sure what your actual issue is in regards to the ticket. Are you saying that you didn't have any information or mention that you needed some kind of visa when you arrived and that it's your responsibility to get it before hand?

If you're just talking about a travel agency that is shady and not giving the correct information, despite selling tickets, that's different. There are some non-legit agencies that have the front of seeming legitimate, but they literally will say they get you a ticket and then steal your money and never issue the ticket or they don't refund you.

I would try to fight it though regardless if you feel it's wrong, unless there is a policy that they were supposed to disclose that they never did.
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/26 11:59
There are many stories here and over on the Japan TripAdvisor forum that I read that are similar, and it does not need to be some shady online agent selling tickets. Cruise companies, major airlines and companies will happily sell you a ticket that you cannot use. Nothing stopped JAL selling tickets to Japan, as an example, despite the holders of those tickets not being allowed into the country. It was (and is) ultimately the responsibility of the purchaser to know the rules around country entry (or for transit) for their particular circumstance.
The exception would be in the OP had specifically paid for a service and advice covering entry and transit requirements. Nothing I have seen suggests they did that, so a claim against the agent would likely be unsuccessful.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Action against online travel agencies 2022/5/26 13:56
What does the ticket in which the visa was needed for the transaction mean exactly?

What require you a visa should be destination country, not air ticket, visa necessity depends on nationality and itinerary -enter or transit. If the ticket (fare, if I say more exactly) was one which was actually available for residents in specific country out of Japan, and your agency arranged this type of ticket by mistake or on purpose, then you can contact the authority mentioned earlier, as long as the agency exists in Japan.

But, if you just missed to look at flight schedule to see if you need to enter and didn't confirm whether you need a visa by inquiring the embassy or referring their official site, having had a preconception that 'just transit so no visa needed', it is not a matter the authority handles. Travel agencies just 'remind' you about visa, trying to collect accurate information as a service but not all of them do so and none of them inform you necessary or not on behalf of the embassy, only the embassy can say it officially. Also, due to pandemic, entry is limited in many countries, a visa could be required even for people who didn't need before.
by Kare Kare (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread